is there still a chance for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enl5018

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Well im a sophomore at penn state going into my spring semester. Currently I have a 2.34 cum gpa (disgustingly low..I know) long story short I had a horrible freshman year. I got a C in general bioI, and C in ChemI and D in antiher Bio class and a B- in chem lab. Basically, I didnt know how to study and prepare for my classes. So i switched my major to pyschology to boost my gpa and i did well in , my pscyh classes B+'s and my physiology class I got a B, but my chemII class i got a....D, just missing a C by 4 points and C in lab ...any way beacause of these 2 classes i got a 2.6. I'm guessing I have to retake my chem class and get an A+ But will med schools look down upon these D grades. Do i still have a chance to raise my gpa. I was also thinking about taking Ochem and physics over the summer at my school (its alot easier during the summer) before my junior year, because i really dont want to fall behind and have to graduate later than four years. I dont know I get really frustrated about all this. I really want to become a doctor, I know I can, I will definatley bust my butt to do it! I'd love to hear any feedback, and dont hold back, Thanks for the help!

-Erica

Members don't see this ad.

Remember that you said not to hold back:

You have three semesters with a GPA of 2.34. Even if you earn a solid 4.0 for your next three semesters, your GPA will only rise to 3.17. If you wait to apply until you complete your senior year, having earned two more semesters of 4.0, your GPA will be at an uncompetitive 3.37. If you add an extra year of classes, graduating after five years, you could get your GPA up to 3.5, which is still below the mean of accepted students of 3.65. If you are getting Bs in your major after switching to Psychology "to boost your GPA", I don't hold out much hope that you can turn things around in time to become competitive for an allopathic (MD) medical school, as you still haven't figured out how to study effectively.

But you have another option to aim toward if you want to be a doctor. Consider applying to a DO (osteopathic ) medical schools. Their application service will substitute the grade of a retaken class (rather than averaging it) to calculate your application GPA. Every class you repeat and do very well in will help resuscitate your GPA much faster (You should repeat all D classes and any prerequisite with a C or lower). Their mean acceptee GPA is 3.4. You still have to figure out how to earn better grades to succeed with this option. Meet with your advisor and ask for help. Get a tutor. Meet with the professors and ask for help. Join a study group. Do whatever it takes, because continuing to earn subpar grades will eventually make it impossible for you to dig yourself out of the hole you're in. SDN has a Pre-Osteoppathic forum where you can learn more about this option: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=13

There is one final option. Get a good MCAT score, proving you understood the material and get your GPA high enough to qualify for a Special Masters Program or SMP (at least 3.0). This is an expensive route to take, without guarantees. Read about them at: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=71

Hey everyone! Well im a sophomore at penn state going into my spring semester. Currently I have a 2.34 cum gpa (disgustingly low..I know) long story short I had a horrible freshman year. I got a C in general bioI, and C in ChemI and D in antiher Bio class and a B- in chem lab. Basically, I didnt know how to study and prepare for my classes. So i switched my major to pyschology to boost my gpa and i did well in , my pscyh classes B+'s and my physiology class I got a B, but my chemII class i got a....D, just missing a C by 4 points and C in lab ...any way beacause of these 2 classes i got a 2.6. I'm guessing I have to retake my chem class and get an A+ But will med schools look down upon these D grades. Do i still have a chance to raise my gpa. I was also thinking about taking Ochem and physics over the summer at my school (its alot easier during the summer) before my junior year, because i really dont want to fall behind and have to graduate later than four years. I dont know I get really frustrated about all this. I really want to become a doctor, I know I can, I will definatley bust my butt to do it! I'd love to hear any feedback, and dont hold back, Thanks for the help!

-Erica

Sorry, but you have no chance at med school with these grades. The sophomore Chem II grade of D is a killer - it is as if you haven't gotten the hang of college after making the lousy freshman grades...almost halfway through college and you are still floundering like a first semester freshman.

Pretty revealing that you think making a "B+" is doing "well." For anyone with med school aspirations, a B+ is occasionally acceptable, but if you think about it, a solid B+ average would be lousy for med school...doing "well" is making nothing less than an A- average...that means mostly As, a few A-, and only a handful of grades that start with B...and most of those should be B+...

BTW, you will have to retake any pre reqs with less than a C if you want to apply to med school...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

-Erica

I would focus on DO or the Caribbean.

You can raise the GPA but you have not shown the ability yet.

If you REALLY want it, it is time to start proving it.... A high MCAT could make up for a 3.3-3.4 GPA in some med schools.

To be honest, I think your chances are pretty slim, but you never know...things happen. I would aim for D.O. or potentially M.D. if you do get 4.0 the rest of your years and somehow do amazing on the MCAT.

But, just remember...you're competing with people who have gotten a 3.7-4.0 all four years and have incredible credentials. With limited spots available, they'll likely take someone with a strong GPA, MCAT over someone who struggled with multiple C's, D's.