Is there still hope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diosa428

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of us complete at most schools way back in August who haven't heard anything since October - is there still hope for the schools that haven't contacted us yet? I know a lot of schools are already scheduling interviews into Jan-Feb, so does this mean it's over? What schools interview for actual spots (not the waitlist) after Feb?

Members don't see this ad.

I think there is still hope...I hope there is still hope...

diosa428 said:
For those of us complete at most schools way back in August who haven't heard anything since October - is there still hope for the schools that haven't contacted us yet? I know a lot of schools are already scheduling interviews into Jan-Feb, so does this mean it's over? What schools interview for actual spots (not the waitlist) after Feb?

dont sweat it...last year I got two interviews after january.

Members don't see this ad :)
heres hoping for hope... or at least gettin' drunk over christmas break on cheap eggnog at your parents' in the vain pursuit of hope. ;)

diosa428 said:
is there still hope for the schools that haven't contacted us yet?

Honestly? The magic 8-ball says.....All Signs Point to No.

But hey you could get lucky.

Most of my applications were not complete until mid-October to early November. Yet, I have several interviews on my plate at the moment.

Don't give up just yet. :luck:

the negative 1 said:
Most of my applications were not complete until mid-October to early November. Yet, I have several interviews on my plate at the moment.

I agree. Don't give up hope. That being said, I think it also depends on the school, too.

Hey negative 1, I LOVE your avatar! :love:

;)

bobito said:
Honestly? The magic 8-ball says.....All Signs Point to No.

But hey you could get lucky.

Righttt....I think all these people on SDN hype this crap up.

discus said:
I agree. Don't give up hope. That being said, I think it also depends on the school, too.

Hey negative 1, I LOVE your avatar! :love:

;)
It's actually a pretty close likeness of me many years ago. My hair used to look exactly like that way back when.

USArmyDoc said:
Righttt....I think all these people on SDN hype this crap up.

Seriously, ArmyDoc, I know plenty of people who got interviews in Jan-Feb-March and stilll got in! I think to a certain extent it truly depends on what school you're talking about. Some schools stop interviewing in Dec, and some go til March, so... :thumbup:

the negative 1 said:
It's actually a pretty close likeness of me many years ago. My hair used to look exactly like that way back when.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

the negative 1 said:

This is exactly what I'm afraid of though - right now, the invites are going out to ppl completed way after me, which means that they've already looked at my app once and decided not to interview me. What are the chances they'll go through the apps again and reconsider...

I'm not expecting any more interviews. Actually I've stopped thinking about it entirely, because I just don't expect anymore. At this point I'm just waiting to hear from 2 schools (1 of which I'll hear from by the end of the month, the other on January 15th). I sort of feel like this process is already over for me. Now I just have to choose which school to go to. I know I'm really lucky to have that choice to make, and I'm thankful for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
What I don't understand is why didn't the people who haven't been accepted applied to any DO schools? You know that DO's are physicians too right?

bkpa2med said:
What I don't understand is why didn't the people who haven't been accepted applied to any DO schools? You know that DO's are physicians too right?

I never said I wasn't accepted anywhere (I am, and I'm thankful for that) there are just other schools that I was really *hoping* to hear from.

bkpa2med said:
I haven't been rejected anywhere, yet. I didn't apply to DO schools because I think my application is competitive at allopathic programs. I'm a ***** and I want that MD.
At least I'm honest about it.

don't give up, there is always hope! :D

diosa428 said:
I never said I wasn't accepted anywhere (I am, and I'm thankful for that) there are just other schools that I was really *hoping* to hear from.

whoa whoa whoa, the OP already got an acceptance? What was the point of this thread then? Oh boo hoo, cry me a river, you got one acceptance and now you're losing hope.

ahumdinger said:
whoa whoa whoa, the OP already got an acceptance? What was the point of this thread then? Oh boo hoo, cry me a river, you got one acceptance and now you're losing hope.

Don't be a Dick.

ahumdinger said:

Sorry, I didn't realize the only people allowed to hope to hear from their top choices were those who didn't get accepted yet. However, I suggest you grow a thicker skin and remove that chip from your shoulder or avoid the forums around March, when people will be getting multiple acceptances from top schools and it's only going to make you more miserable than you already are.

And, for the record, I'm not looking for pity, I was hoping to hear from some people who were complete around Aug/Sept and still receiving interview invites.

bkpa2med said:

are you looking to start a flame fest?

diosa428 said:
Freak, I've been complete since July and am still waiting on 13 schools. They have left me to die. Oh well. Life goes on...somehow. :(

diosa428 said:
Sorry, I didn't realize the only people allowed to hope to hear from their top choices were those who didn't get accepted yet. However, I suggest you grow a thicker skin and remove that chip from your shoulder or avoid the forums around March, when people will be getting multiple acceptances from top schools and it's only going to make you more miserable than you already are.

And, for the record, I'm not looking for pity, I was hoping to hear from some people who were complete around Aug/Sept and still receiving interview invites.

I was complete everywhere at the end of August and got an interview invite from one school right around Thanksgiving. Having said that it was at a school that wasn't considering out of staters until about that point. Good news is it def happens, chin up.

As mentioned on another thread, I am still hoping to get into Harvard. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure my only in at this point is as a cadaver. Hey, whatever it takes.

For Christsake people can't you read the sign?!?!
Abandon all Hope Ye who enter Here

Through me you pass into the city of woe:
Through me you pass into eternal pain:
Through me among the people lost for aye.

Justice the founder of my fabric mov'd:
To rear me was the task of power divine,
Supremest wisdom, and primeval love.

Before me things create were none, save things
Eternal, and eternal I endure.
All hope abandon ye who enter here.

bobito said:
For Christsake people can't you read the sign?!?!
Abandon all Hope Ye who enter Here

Through me you pass into the city of woe:
Through me you pass into eternal pain:
Through me among the people lost for aye.

Justice the founder of my fabric mov'd:
To rear me was the task of power divine,
Supremest wisdom, and primeval love.

Before me things create were none, save things
Eternal, and eternal I endure.
All hope abandon ye who enter here.
OMG! DANTE'S INFERNO!! I just finished taking Dante's Poetic Vision, a course covering Inferno and Purgatory. I loved it! Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita...

chaeymaey said:
OMG! DANTE'S INFERNO!! I just finished taking Dante's Poetic Vision, a course covering Inferno and Purgatory. I loved it! Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita...

I dig it. But not the translation I posted. Its just the one I found online. I wish I knew more italian. I also wish I had the patience to read all of the divine comedy. But get this. I first read it when I worked construction in Italy. I thought that was pretty pimp.

But I digress. I think we were talking about pain, frustration, and eternal torment....or something like that.

bobito said:
I dig it. But not the traslation I posted. Its just the one I found online. I wish I knew more italian. I also wish I had the patience to read all of the divine comedy. But get this. I first read it when I worked construction in Italy. I thought that was pretty pimp.

But I digress. I think we were talking about pain, frustration, and eternal torment....or something like that.
Aww, Dante says "I digress" when he's bitching about Florence and Italy in Purgatory. It is cool that you read it in Italy for the first time. I've been really interested in Italy since I started studying Petrarch, Boccaccio, Machiavelli, Castiglione, di Pizan, Bruni, Pino, and of course, Dante. I'm trying to get into a class about Italian novels written during Mussolini's pre-WW2 reign.

And yes, med school app process still sucks. I sent emails to all of my schools today asking about my status. Hope it does some good.