is there such thing as excessive shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted802724

I've been shadowing every summer break. just to be consistent. But the number racked up quite a bit... I thought of it as a motivation during each break but with most people suggesting that 20-40 is more than enough and that over 400 is too much, i'm just wondering if this would be frowned upon

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not so much that it is frowned upon as it is adcoms may feel you could have been doing something more useful with that time.

How much do you have? And do you feel you could have been doing something else useful instead?

Reactions: 2 users
Shadow until you feel like you've learned enough to grasp a good understanding of what it means to practice medicine, learn a couple lessons, or gain a decision defining experience. That could be a single day or months worth. I got into med school and didn't have any shadowing. They just want to see somewhere in your App that you know what you're getting into and that you're certain it's what you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not so much that it is frowned upon as it is adcoms may feel you could have been doing something more useful with that time.

How much do you have? And do you feel you could have been doing something else useful instead?
around 200 and if I'm consistent i may reach 300. i did shadowing just on my spare time when i couldve just relaxed and watched a tv show or something

around 200 and if I'm consistent i may reach 300. i did shadowing just on my spare time when i couldve just relaxed and watched a tv show or something

That's way more than you need. Adcoms on here say that after about 50 or so hours, you get diminishing returns.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. It's a 15 yard penalty enforced on the kickoff.

Reactions: 1 users
That's more than enough. You can't spend your spare time helping out at a food bank? or a homeless shelter?

Reactions: 3 users
Anything > 100 is simply gilding the lily. I get nervous when I see applicants who have more shadowing experience than actual patient contact volunteering. It suggest that they don't know what their priorities are.

I've been shadowing every summer break. just to be consistent. But the number racked up quite a bit... I thought of it as a motivation during each break but with most people suggesting that 20-40 is more than enough and that over 100 is too much, i'm just wondering if this would be frowned upon

Shadowing should be used to get a general sense of the work involved in different types of clinical settings and specialties--and overall, to decide if you want to become a physician. It definitely seems like you should be good to go after several hundred hours of shadowing!

As others have suggested, it's probably a good time to start seeking out more participatory volunteer or research experiences, in which you have at least some responsibility and/or direct patient interaction.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Anything > 100 is simply gilding the lily. I get nervous when I see applicants who have more shadowing experience than actual patient contact volunteering. It suggest that they don't know what their priorities are.
The thing is though, I have much much more actual patient contact volunteering..