Is there such thing as........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tdkneo

The Future Dr.Nguyen
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there such thing as "too many units" ..........do schools actually look at how many units a person actually took while fulfilling the prereqs.........does having too many units affect the chances of being admitted?

Members don't see this ad.

This question makes no sense. Why would taking more classes necessarily be worse? I'm sure there's a point where they might wonder why the heck you took 100 credits over the necessary amount, but if you had a reasonable explanation, I'm sure it wouldn't matter...

Members don't see this ad :)
This question makes no sense. Why would taking more classes necessarily be worse? I'm sure there's a point where they might wonder why the heck you took 100 credits over the necessary amount, but if you had a reasonable explanation, I'm sure it wouldn't matter...

what i mean is that.......does the number of units affect your chances if you take beyond what is required of the prereqs or a BS like saying you're trying to bring up your gpa by taking a lot of extra science classes and such........

as long as they're not classes you've already taken, it can't hurt, and if it raises your gpa it definitely helps...

as long as they're not classes you've already taken, it can't hurt, and if it raises your gpa it definitely helps...

Kind of like the "unofficial" postbac ....... my gpa is at 3.0 overall and 3.4bcpm, so i definitely to bring both of them up...........

I would think they like lots of units, unless you've taken forever to graduate. But who knows how the minds of med school application committees work?

i've been asked during interviews why i have so many credits and why i took so many classes per term. i personally took a lot of classes for fun. just do what you have to do. you're sweating the small stuff.

i've been asked during interviews why i have so many credits and why i took so many classes per term. i personally took a lot of classes for fun. just do what you have to do. you're sweating the small stuff.

I was asked the exact same thing. But it was a definite positive...to quote my interviewer: "Wow, you have a lot of credits...I'm impressed that you were able to handle such a heavy course load and all those activities at the same time." So yes, its definitely a good thing...the more evidence they have that you can handle a tough course load, the better.