is there time for a life during med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mac_kin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a pre-med and I know that I really want to do medicine and it would definitely be the #1 priority if I ever got in. But throughout my whole high school/ undergrad career I've been very involved with clubs and especially athletics. So my question to the med students as stated in the Title is "do you have any free time for hobbies/athletics or other interests while in med school?"
If so, how much time do you have each week to put the books down, relax, and do whatever you want?

Members don't see this ad.

My personal feeling is, if you don't have time to do things that make you happy outside of medicine, that help define you and make you YOU... you must be doing something wrong, and you need to adjust your study habits!

Of course, this theory goes out the window while studying for Step 1 ;)

Life is what you make of it. The stuff you prioritize is the stuff you'll spend time on. There are 24 hours in a day. If you manage your time well, you can fit in work, sleep, and fun with room to spare - regardless of where you are in life.

Of course, this is infinitely easier said than done. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Definetely not nearly as much time as undergrad, but if you prioritize and don't waste too much time... *cough*... SDN... *cough*... then you should still be able to do a few clubs and go out once in a while. I play ice hockey about once a week (sometimes once every two weeks) during the season, go to the gym about 3-4 times per week, and am president of two clubs... but aside from that, almost all of the rest of my time is spent studying (and occasional lunches with friends, etc).

Pinner Doc, the quote underneath the heading of your blog is my very favorite line Mary Oliver ever wrote. glad to see she's still in circulation :)

omgwtfbbq? said:
Pinner Doc, the quote underneath the heading of your blog is my very favorite line Mary Oliver ever wrote. glad to see she's still in circulation :)
I love some of Mary Oliver's writing too...that's a great line and one of my favorites too...

I think we're ready for the first official meeting of the SDN poetry club.....
...... who's with me? ;)

mac_kin said:
Hi, I'm a pre-med and I know that I really want to do medicine and it would definitely be the #1 priority if I ever got in. But throughout my whole high school/ undergrad career I've been very involved with clubs and especially athletics. So my question to the med students as stated in the Title is "do you have any free time for hobbies/athletics or other interests while in med school?"
If so, how much time do you have each week to put the books down, relax, and do whatever you want?

No one can really quantify how much free time you will have. It depends mostly on your abilities -- do you memorize quickly or will you need that extra pass or two through the notes before stuff gets locked in, and how quick a reader you are, etc. It also depends on whether you are striving for a particular grade, honors etc. Some folks have lots of free time (but usually less than undergrad) most folks have a little and some have none.