Is there time for research during medical school (not summers, during academic year)?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by yaoming, Sep 11, 2002.

1. yaoming

yaoming Membership Revoked
    Removed

So is there? What kind of project might one be able to do in medical school?

2. Gradient Echo

Gradient Echo Membership Revoked
    Removed

Yeah I think its possible, but just keep in mind it will be very difficult to have a substantial project.

I started a lab rotation for the MD/PhD program this summer, and decided to stay in the lab during the school year and put in about 10 hours/week finishing up a couple of experiments.

My stuff is imaging though, so thats kind of a special case. For some wet-bench type experiments, they can be much more time demanding, so it depends a lot on what kind of research you are talking about.

Most people at my school dont do research during the school year, but its possible if you have a good handle on what kind of project you are going to work on and can devote maybe 10 hours a week to it.

3. Gator05

Gator05 Resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Depending on the school you attend and the structure of the curriculum, research may or may not be easier to work on throughout the year. A few hours here and there might be feasible, but I'd definately rule true bench research out. Most people I know who did "research" during the year used the time to finish up old experiments and tie up any loose ends. Still, depending on your school, anything's possible...