Is there time to get dental work done while in school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joe70h8

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems that most/all schools offer dental work for cheap, but is there enough time to take advantage of it? From what you have heard or experienced, is it hard to get fit an appointment into your class schedule? I'm hoping to get some mild orthodontic treatment, new crowns, and a bridge (covering 8-11) or implant to correct damage caused by an accident. I'll be attending NYU if it matters.

Members don't see this ad.

It seems that most/all schools offer dental work for cheap, but is there enough time to take advantage of it? From what you have heard or experienced, is it hard to get fit an appointment into your class schedule? I'm hoping to get some mild orthodontic treatment, new crowns, and a bridge (covering 8-11) or implant to correct damage caused by an accident. I'll be attending NYU if it matters.

A lot of my classmates got gold inlays/onlays done before graduation. A few got veneers done by classmates. A ton got ortho done while in school. Go for it. You can make the time.

Can you get ortho through the dental school you go to? Cause I want it done then.

Members don't see this ad :)

When your patient don't show and another classmate's doesn't show either = time for you to get some discounted dental work done and credit for your classmate. :)

I don't know how your school system works for you, but here at UMich, I have to schedule my patients according to my own schedule.

Do the students get it done for free or do we pay the same amount a patient would pay?

how about getting invisiline?

I guess you got to know some ortho students in your school to hook you up. You might get braces, but i am not sure about invisiline. I think you will pay around 3k for your invisiline (the charge from the place where they make the invisible braces) + whatever discount fees your school will charge you. Usually it takes much longer to get it done in your dental school than at a private practice, but it is cheaper in school.

Do the students get it done for free or do we pay the same amount a patient would pay?

I can only speak for my school....they offer 50% off if you get the work done at the undergraduate clinics for students and something like 20% off for parents/spouses/kids but no discount for brothers/sisters. I believe we pay whatever other patients pay at graduate and faculty clinics. The fees the school charges is about 50% cheaper than private practice.

Invisalign is a rip off. I had invisalign and had to go to real braces since the system sucked.

Just my opinion.

I think I will be too embarassed to get any work done at my school.

Invisalign is a rip off. I had invisalign and had to go to real braces since the system sucked.

Just my opinion.

I can see where you're coming from, but since we're all aspiring dental professionals, I don't think that should be the case at all. Everyone needs to have work done, some more extensive than others, so why not at school...especially if your regular dentist is halfway across the country.

no way, considering how much money you'll actually save. Also, i've come to discover that skilled dental students often make better dentists than the average dentist you may have. Dental students tend to pay more attention to detail than the average middle aged dentist who wants to go through as many patients as possible within a short period of time. I was really surprised when I discovered that my old maxillary premolar MO restoration didn't actually break contact with the adjacent tooth, and the amalgam actually fractured due to poor dentistry forcing me to have my amalgam redone. The resulting restoration done by a 4th year dental student was actually top notch work.

Just my opinion.

Why did you have to go to the metal braces? Invisalign is good for correcting mild cases. If you have teeth that are 45 degrees off, invisalign can correct them to about 90%, but not 100% like metal braces. It can correct overbite, straighten out teeth, gaps, etc...without the stress of wearing metal junk in your mouth. Many people I know, including one dental hygenist, thought invisalign was great.

A playa like me is looking forward to getting some grillz when he's in school!

RP

Attachments

• gr56_tn.jpg
    gr56_tn.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 68
...I think I will be too embarassed to get any work done at my school.

Because you need dental care does not mean you're a bad person, and besides, there's nothing embarassing about saving money - especially when you're a student. A lot of my friends are registered patients at the school. At first I was a bit apprehensive about being seen at the school - it was important to me that I have trust in whomever I let work on my mouth. I knew a now graduated senior with amazing skills and she worked me in with my schedule, delivered great results, she got some points, and all at a tremendously low cost (mostly free). It was a win-win.

Yeah you all are probably right, I should buck up and just let someone at the school do it. But I am kind of concerned that there will be like 15 cavities and my name will spread like wildfire throughout the school as someone with poor oral health. Then I can't run for class president, get good recommendations and get into that dream ortho/omfs program that I lust after. :laugh:

My oral health is fine, but I am just a little worried that something freaky will come out of it. Anybody feel the same?

no worries about what other people think, most people have caries at some time in there life, some just have more due to things out of their control (higher bacterial count etc.), so go ahead and have your work done, I would imagine no one will care at all, and most people will be happy to get the credit for filling their chair on a cancelled appt.

and, to answer your other question about cost, I don't know about other places but dental work here at buffalo is free for students, unless you get like ortho or something done then you have to pay for the materials I believe
hope this helps

no worries about what other people think, most people have caries at some time in there life, some just have more due to things out of their control (higher bacterial count etc.), so go ahead and have your work done, I would imagine no one will care at all, and most people will be happy to get the credit for filling their chair on a cancelled appt.

and, to answer your other question about cost, I don't know about other places but dental work here at buffalo is free for students, unless you get like ortho or something done then you have to pay for the materials I believe
hope this helps

I am glad to here that perspective, because I need a lot of work done. Mainly because I was unable to go to the dentist for financial reasons for a number of years and I am somewhat embarrassed at the number of caries I have. I can afford to go now(barely) with my wifes insurance but I still have more work to.