Is there truly a disdain for people who are URM's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn-doc97

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Something that I have noticed when looking at people making posts, whether it be on here or on reddit, is that some people seem to have this passive aggressive tone towards minorities and I was wondering if this is commonplace in medicine, or if it's just a bunch of people who like to troll on these websites? I noticed that often mods have to make it be blatant in some posts saying things along the line of not attacking or disparaging URM's on the websites. So, I was wondering is it just the typical behavior or there being a couple of trolls on the internet? Or do people truly hate minorities when you enter medical school, residency, etc. Do people express this passive aggressive behavior in real life? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
URMs are generally admitted to MD schools with significantly lower GPA and MCAT scores than non-URMS. No way around it, and many people think it’s unfair.

• Okay...
Reactions: 6 users
Applying to medical school is one of the most difficult phases of a doctor's life - in fact, for me, going through medical school so far has been easier than the emotional turmoil of getting in. As such, it brings out stress and the worst in people who are trying to point fingers at others. I am personally agnostic to the issue myself, because I don't mind giving URMs an advantage but I do mind the fact that asian students are always viewed through a certain lens. Many members of admissions committees tend to invalidate the hard work of Asian applications and automatically assume all asian applicants are privileged and grew up in a good neighborhood with tiger parents unless proven otherwise. I wish this would change and that there would be an acknowledgement of the fact that adversity and challenges come in many forms.

Coming back to your question, most med students/residents/doctors are too busy and worried getting through their career to be angry about URM advantage in the admissions process. Sure, there are some docs out there who tell themselves "my career would be so much better right now if I were black", but those are few.

Reactions: 3 users
Many members of admissions committees tend to invalidate the hard work of Asian applications and automatically assume all asian applicants are privileged and grew up in a good neighborhood with tiger parents unless proven otherwise.
I've been involved in admissions for decades and never have I seen anything remotely resembling this.
We have the demographic and economic information on the primary application so there is no need for assumptions.
Helicopter parents come from every background.

Sadly, history would indicate that allowing this thread to continue will provide little enlightenment.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
Status
Not open for further replies.