Is there ways to improve interview skills?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

After sumbitting my application, I pretty much have nothing to do related to applying for dental school. I guess the only thing that I can work on right now is interviewing skills? Do you guys have any tips on how to improve interviewing skills? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello guys,

After sumbitting my application, I pretty much have nothing to do related to applying for dental school. I guess the only thing that I can work on right now is interviewing skills? Do you guys have any tips on how to improve interviewing skills? thanks!

Gather up a big list of questions from SDN interview feedback and get yourself another applicant buddy and ask each the questions. You can practice on your own as well. You will quickly realize how stupid most of your answers sound but the good thing is you will very quickly become better at answering their silly questions.

But in all honesty...just know your application, your academic and personal history and convey yourself honestly during interviews.

Some schools offer mock interviews throught the career center. You might want to look into that.

Members don't see this ad :)
DO NOT over-prepare for your interviews. doing so is extremely counterproductive. you will get to your interview with a bunch of memorized answers in your head & when the answers don't come out exactly as you memorized them, you WILL freak ....

i suggest looking at parts of your application that are particularly weak, such as some bad grades and be ready to answer questions pertaining to that! always make sure your mistakes had a positive impact on you! sounds like an oxymoron right??

anyways- the most important thing you can do during an interview is RELAX. put on your suit beforehand and practice sitting in a manner that is comfortable for you. i was told not to cross my legs by some ppl, so i didnt for the first interview and was Very uncomfortable. the other 2 interviews i crossed my legs and was completely relaxed and i was myself. guess what schools i was accepted to? ;)

good luck, jB!:)

RELAX, thats the most important thing, and will give the true impression of you to the interviewers. Just remember, the interviewers have asked the same basic questions over and over and over and heard many of the same answers over and over and over. If you give an asnwer that you think the interviewer wants to hear, rather than what you really think, you're more than likely not to be remebered since the interviewer has herad that same answer many times before.

Having an answer that's you and neccessarily the standard "form answer" will distinguish you from the others, and if the interviewr remembers you, than more times than not you've made that good impression that can lead to acceptance. Then again, if you go off on some tangential diatribe about space aliens or something like that, we'll then you'll be remembered for the wrong reasons:eek:

hello thanks for all the great tips.

I am thinking of joing Toast Master b/c my public speaking is still a bit weak? do you think it will help effectively on my interviewing skill? Thank you!

Find out of it's a woman interviewer.
If so, hit the gym , and wear a very tight shirt to the interview.
If ti's a guy, hope he's gay.

Smoke a fat j beforehand, then picture them in their underwear (and try not to laugh).