Is this a bad idea for diversity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meijihellopanda

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
as one of many Asian ORMs with physician parents, I'm having an incredibly difficult time finding a topic for my diversity essay. I have currently decided on writing about gardening and how it has taught me the values of patience and dedication, but I feel like that's more of a hobby than "diversity". If not for gardening, I was thinking about just writing about blending Asian and American values in our household, but I feel like that's incredibly overplayed. Is gardening a bad idea, or should I roll with it?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think the gardening angle is great but just not for a diversity prompt. I think the essay really needs some sort of interpersonal conflict that can be used to compare and contrast different viewpoints in order for it to really fit into the diversity category.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I wouldn't do either. What about you is unique? What do you do that nobody else does?

Members don't see this ad :)
as one of many Asian ORMs with physician parents, I'm having an incredibly difficult time finding a topic for my diversity essay. I have currently decided on writing about gardening and how it has taught me the values of patience and dedication, but I feel like that's more of a hobby than "diversity". If not for gardening, I was thinking about just writing about blending Asian and American values in our household, but I feel like that's incredibly overplayed. Is gardening a bad idea, or should I roll with it?

Thanks!
It's fine

I like the gardening idea because it's different. Different = diversity.

Reactions: 1 user