1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Is this a bad sign?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Flyfisher, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Flyfisher

Flyfisher On Target: Med School
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I've already been officially rejected by three schools: Minnesota, Albany and Medical College of Wisconsin. :( :( :( :( :( Unfortunately there isn't a crying face to put in there.

My remaining schools are:
    U- Michigan
    UMASS
    George Washington
    Tufts
    New York Medical College
    UVM
    Rosalind Franklin
    Rush medical college
    Creighton
    Emory
    Drexel
    Loyola Chicago
    Tulane

Should I start looking for another career or what. I have 28 MCAT and 3.5 GPA from a good school (Bates)

anyway, just wanted to vent and get some feedback.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. crys20

crys20 make it happen!
    5+ Year Member

of course you shouldn't go find another career. your stats are fine. what state do you live in? state schools will always be your best shot. but anyway, it's still really early. a ton of interviews go on in january, february, march and people find out in spring time. there is still plenty, plenty of time for you.

4. masterMood

masterMood Membership Revoked
    Removed

Post Doc
    Have you ever considered joining the army?

5. drmota

drmota 2K Member
    5+ Year Member

those 3 are all very quick to send out rejections. so don't let that bog you down. you may have applied to some more schools but your stats are decent and will hopefully land you somewhere. good luck.
    -mota

6. shift_roro

Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    there's still a lot of time left in the game... don't give up so easily!

7. crys20

crys20 make it happen!
    5+ Year Member

let me add my personal thing that has gotten me through the entire premed journey...coming up with plans. once you have a plan, things don't seem so bad. for instance, pre-applying i came up with a long drawn out plan for what i would do if i didn't get in anywhere. i was actually really pumped about georgetown's special masters program!! once i figured out what i would do and looked into it to gear myself up, not getting in the first year didn't even seem so bad.

you will more than likely get in. my point is, if you havent' already, come up with a plan you can live with if you don't get in this year. mine was moving to DC to do a one year masters. yours might be retaking the MCAT and doing something cool in the meantime.

8. Flyfisher

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks, Its good to know they send out rejections quickly.

9. Flyfisher

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thank you for the quick words of encouragement (mostly).

I thought about the army but I don't like the idea of shooting people. (or being shot at, or blown up)

UMASS is instate for me, hopefully they will come through. I have to find a new top choice since MCW is down the tubes.

Thanks again.

10. DesiMcatAcer

DesiMcatAcer Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Fly,
    Dont worry, everything hopefully will fall in place...I think its still relatively early in the game(I hope so too!)...best of luck! :)

11. drmota

drmota 2K Member
    5+ Year Member

i must say that this is excellent advice. i might even take it myself.
    -mota

12. crys20

crys20 make it happen!
    5+ Year Member

why thank you :)

really it is just some sort of defense mechanism...one that has always worked quite well for me however :)

13. Pepper1o1

Pepper1o1 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

That's exactly what I'm doing :) Just sent in the Gtown SMP application yesterday. I figure it will be something like bringing an umbrella so that it DOESN'T rain!

14. crys20

crys20 make it happen!
    5+ Year Member

plus that gtown program would be badass! :) i love DC, esp the georgetown area...what's a year really, not that much...plus upon completion your first year of med is gonna be so chill since you've done half of it already. not a bad worst case scenario at all IMO!

15. N1DERL&

N1DERL& HP4!!!!
    7+ Year Member

Pepper, Gtown is accepting applications already?

16. BOBODR

BOBODR Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I dont think they expect them until January 1st, Pepper what you talking about?! :confused:

17. silas2642

silas2642 silas2642
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    No, you should be fine. You have a couple of reach schools in there like Emory and UMichigan, but for the most part you're in the ballpark of acceptability for the schools you've listed. You have average stats, so I think that personal statements, extracurriculars, and letters of recommendation are going to be what make or break this for you.

Try not to give up so early. If this is what you really want to do in life, than you'll keep on pursuing medicine even if you don't make it in this year.

18. tacrum43

tacrum43 Behold the mighty echidna
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Um, not to rain on your applicationing, but I don't think they begin accepting applications for Fall 2006 until January. Maybe they'll just hold on to it for you until then. You might want to call and check.

As a side note, there was a girl from Princeton here last year who is now at Georgetown med. I'm not really sure if that's supposed to encourage you or not. Hmm. Well hopefully you won't have to worry about it because you'll just get in now. :)

19. bubbleyum

bubbleyum Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i was wondering something similar.
    i know a lot of people here are saying "you have plenty of time, interview season is still going on till march of next year, etc etc." in terms of encouragement, but from what i can tell on these boards, the interview INVITES for jan-march of next year are being handed out NOW. a lot of schools are all booked up until next year already. so even though you technically have not been rejected yet and interview season is not over, seems like the interview INVITE season is coming to an end soon.

if anyody has any info to negate this, i would be glad to hear it!

20. tacrum43

tacrum43 Behold the mighty echidna
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Some schools interview until May, so there's still invites to be had. I think it really depends on the school how far ahead of time they invite. Some have already filled up Jan/Feb and some haven't. I'm not sure if any March invites have been sent yet for anyplace.

Here's hoping for good holiday news from medical schools. :luck:

21. bubbleyum

bubbleyum Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

drexl ppl getting invites now are calling in to find out the earliest possible interview is in march, and nyu stops interviews(not interview invites) in mid-december or something, according to sdn...