Is this a bad sign?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flyfisher

On Target: Med School
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've already been officially rejected by three schools: Minnesota, Albany and Medical College of Wisconsin. :( :( :( :( :( Unfortunately there isn't a crying face to put in there.

My remaining schools are:
U- Michigan
UMASS
George Washington
Tufts
New York Medical College
UVM
Rosalind Franklin
Rush medical college
Creighton
Emory
Drexel
Loyola Chicago
Tulane

Should I start looking for another career or what. I have 28 MCAT and 3.5 GPA from a good school (Bates)

anyway, just wanted to vent and get some feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Flyfisher said:
I've already been officially rejected by three schools: Minnesota, Albany and Medical College of Wisconsin. :( :( :( :( :( Unfortunately there isn't a crying face to put in there.

U- Michigan
UMASS
George Washington
Tufts
New York Medical College
UVM
Rosalind Franklin
Rush medical college
Creighton
Emory
Drexel
Loyola Chicago
Tulane

Should I start looking for another career or what. I have 28 MCAT and 3.5 GPA from a good school (Bates)

of course you shouldn't go find another career. your stats are fine. what state do you live in? state schools will always be your best shot. but anyway, it's still really early. a ton of interviews go on in january, february, march and people find out in spring time. there is still plenty, plenty of time for you.

Have you ever considered joining the army?

Members don't see this ad :)
those 3 are all very quick to send out rejections. so don't let that bog you down. you may have applied to some more schools but your stats are decent and will hopefully land you somewhere. good luck.
-mota

let me add my personal thing that has gotten me through the entire premed journey...coming up with plans. once you have a plan, things don't seem so bad. for instance, pre-applying i came up with a long drawn out plan for what i would do if i didn't get in anywhere. i was actually really pumped about georgetown's special masters program!! once i figured out what i would do and looked into it to gear myself up, not getting in the first year didn't even seem so bad.

you will more than likely get in. my point is, if you havent' already, come up with a plan you can live with if you don't get in this year. mine was moving to DC to do a one year masters. yours might be retaking the MCAT and doing something cool in the meantime.

DaMota said:
those 3 are all very quick to send out rejections. so don't let that bog you down. you may have applied to some more schools but your stats are decent and will hopefully land you somewhere. good luck.
-mota

Thanks, Its good to know they send out rejections quickly.

Thank you for the quick words of encouragement (mostly).

I thought about the army but I don't like the idea of shooting people. (or being shot at, or blown up)

UMASS is instate for me, hopefully they will come through. I have to find a new top choice since MCW is down the tubes.

Thanks again.

Fly,
Dont worry, everything hopefully will fall in place...I think its still relatively early in the game(I hope so too!)...best of luck! :)

crys20 said:
let me add my personal thing that has gotten me through the entire premed journey...coming up with plans. once you have a plan, things don't seem so bad. for instance, pre-applying i came up with a long drawn out plan for what i would do if i didn't get in anywhere. i was actually really pumped about georgetown's special masters program!! once i figured out what i would do and looked into it to gear myself up, not getting in the first year didn't even seem so bad.

you will more than likely get in. my point is, if you havent' already, come up with a plan you can live with if you don't get in this year. mine was moving to DC to do a one year masters. yours might be retaking the MCAT and doing something cool in the meantime.

i must say that this is excellent advice. i might even take it myself.
-mota

why thank you :)

really it is just some sort of defense mechanism...one that has always worked quite well for me however :)

crys20 said:
why thank you :)

really it is just some sort of defense mechanism...one that has always worked quite well for me however :)

That's exactly what I'm doing :) Just sent in the Gtown SMP application yesterday. I figure it will be something like bringing an umbrella so that it DOESN'T rain!

plus that gtown program would be badass! :) i love DC, esp the georgetown area...what's a year really, not that much...plus upon completion your first year of med is gonna be so chill since you've done half of it already. not a bad worst case scenario at all IMO!

Pepper1o1 said:
That's exactly what I'm doing :) Just sent in the Gtown SMP application yesterday. I figure it will be something like bringing an umbrella so that it DOESN'T rain!

Pepper, Gtown is accepting applications already?

N1DERL& said:
Pepper, Gtown is accepting applications already?

I dont think they expect them until January 1st, Pepper what you talking about?! :confused:

Flyfisher said:

U- Michigan
UMASS
George Washington
Tufts
New York Medical College
UVM
Rosalind Franklin
Rush medical college
Creighton
Emory
Drexel
Loyola Chicago
Tulane

No, you should be fine. You have a couple of reach schools in there like Emory and UMichigan, but for the most part you're in the ballpark of acceptability for the schools you've listed. You have average stats, so I think that personal statements, extracurriculars, and letters of recommendation are going to be what make or break this for you.

Try not to give up so early. If this is what you really want to do in life, than you'll keep on pursuing medicine even if you don't make it in this year.

Pepper1o1 said:

Um, not to rain on your applicationing, but I don't think they begin accepting applications for Fall 2006 until January. Maybe they'll just hold on to it for you until then. You might want to call and check.

As a side note, there was a girl from Princeton here last year who is now at Georgetown med. I'm not really sure if that's supposed to encourage you or not. Hmm. Well hopefully you won't have to worry about it because you'll just get in now. :)

i was wondering something similar.
i know a lot of people here are saying "you have plenty of time, interview season is still going on till march of next year, etc etc." in terms of encouragement, but from what i can tell on these boards, the interview INVITES for jan-march of next year are being handed out NOW. a lot of schools are all booked up until next year already. so even though you technically have not been rejected yet and interview season is not over, seems like the interview INVITE season is coming to an end soon.

if anyody has any info to negate this, i would be glad to hear it!

bubbleyum said:
if anyody has any info to negate this, i would be glad to hear it!

Some schools interview until May, so there's still invites to be had. I think it really depends on the school how far ahead of time they invite. Some have already filled up Jan/Feb and some haven't. I'm not sure if any March invites have been sent yet for anyplace.

Here's hoping for good holiday news from medical schools. :luck:

tacrum43 said:
Some schools interview until May, so there's still invites to be had. I think it really depends on the school how far ahead of time they invite. Some have already filled up Jan/Feb and some haven't. I'm not sure if any March invites have been sent yet for anyplace.

Here's hoping for good holiday news from medical schools. :luck:

drexl ppl getting invites now are calling in to find out the earliest possible interview is in march, and nyu stops interviews(not interview invites) in mid-december or something, according to sdn...