Is this a good DAT score and will it help overcome a low GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PARRYJUDGE559

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the test yesterday and scored AA-22, TS-22, BIO-22, CHEM-22, O-CHEM-22, Reading-29, PA-18, and QR-17.

My science GPA is close to a 3.0 and overall GPA is 3.17.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Overall GPA: 3.17
Science GPA: 3.05
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 2.91
Post-Bac: 3.5 (Only two science classes so far, but I will just continue to take more upper level science classes to boost my science and overall gpa and work full time)
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA-22, TS-22, BIO-22, CHEM-22, O-CHEM-22, Reading-29, PA-18, and QR-17.
State of Residence: CA

Major: Bio
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: I am aiming for 100 before I apply. Currently in the 50-60 range.
Volunteering Experience: General hospital volunteering, more than 200 hours.
Employment: Retail, EMT, Movie theater.
Research: Class research project, not sure if it counts.
Other Extracurriculars: Nothing special.
Relevant Honors or Awards: None
LOR type and strength: 2 Science Professors and 1 Dentist. They felt they could write me a decent one.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere: I plan on applying broadly and would be happy to get into any dental school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Keep your postbacc gpa closer to 4.0

Reactions: 1 user
Hello recent update. So I haven't stayed true to my word. I didn't take more classes because it is expensive and I spent a lot of my money applying to schools. I probably should have done so. I kind of regret that now.

I haven't gotten any interview invites yet, and I applied in June. Here are the schools I applied to:

ASDOH
MOSDOH
CREIGHTON
LECOM
USC
CASE
MARQUETTE
MEHARRY
MIDWESTERN AZ (Rejected)
MIDWESTERN ILLINOIS
NYU
ROSEMAN (Did Kira Assessment)
RUTGERS
OHSU (No Decision Email)
LOUISVILLE
UCLA
UCSF (Rejected)
UOP
WESTERN
COLORADO
IOWA (Deferred)
OKLAHOMA
HOUSTON
DALLAS
VCU
TUFTS
TEMPLE
BUFFALO
NEBRASKA
UNLV

What do you think my chances are now? Am I more likely to get a Post December Invite than Pre December because of my stats. Also did not do well on CASPER.

Last edited:
Hello recent update. So I haven't stayed true to my word. I didn't take more classes because it is expensive and I spent a lot of my money applying to schools. I probably should have done so. I kind of regret that now.

I haven't gotten any interview invites yet, and I applied in June. Here are the schools I applied to:

ASDOH
MOSDOH
CREIGHTON
LECOM
USC
CASE
MARQUETTE
MEHARRY
MIDWESTERN AZ (Rejected)
MIDWESTERN ILLINOIS
NYU
ROSEMAN (Did Kira Assessment)
RUTGERS
OHSU (No Decision Email)
LOUISVILLE
UCLA
UCSF (Rejected)
UOP
WESTERN
COLORADO
IOWA (Deferred)
OKLAHOMA
HOUSTON
DALLAS
VCU
TUFTS
TEMPLE
BUFFALO
NEBRASKA
UNLV

What do you think my chances are now? Am I more likely to get a Post December Invite than Pre December because of my stats. Also did not do well on CASPER.
You definitely still stand a chance to receive interview invites pre and post december. If you don’t get in this cycle, you already know where your app weakness is, so you know where you’ll have to improve.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed in April and was accepted by NYU. I'm taking two classes right now via Post-Bac, and I did have to talk about my GPA in one of my interviews.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users