is this a good deal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scamp

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers, I could use your expert opinions.

I am not taking the mcat until next year, but (as I cannot afford a prep course) I would like to gather any mcat prep material that will be helpful.

I have the opportunity to buy some used materials, including a few Kaplan guides (the bookstore kind), ALL of the material from a Princeton review course, and several practice tests. The seller wants $200 for it all. I know the prep course runs like $1300, so doesn't this sound like a very reasonable price? oh, and everything is 4 years old- does that matter?

I am new to this whole premed ordeal and I'm really not sure how much things like this cost. I would really appreciate any advice!

Thanks in advance!

scamp :)

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard that the last MCAT following the current format will be this August 2002 (from Kaplan but may be an advertising thing, who knows). Based on this information if the test does change I'd personally want the most up to date material. I purchased the Kaplan Big Guide ($65) to study from for this year and looked in a discount bookstore to find that last year's model not only cost a wopping $15 (that's right, not a typo) but is almost identical to this "new improved version" that i just bought. My advice would be to try and find out if the test really is changing and then looking either online or in discount book stores for older (yet quite similar) material.

thanks ptjay!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey scamp,

i've also heard that the MCAT is changing, but... i think from what i hear... it should B advantageous... altho, i guess that's relative. like... the verbal section won't B da 1st section u take and... i think they're takin' out sum o-chem and adding more mole gen kinda questionz... *scratching head* i'm not sure what else...

for me tho... i thought princeton review hyperlearning was AWESOME! honestly... u don't really need the classes as much as the humungus science workbook and verbal passages. i took the MCAT numerous tymz and it's really about knowing the exam well and gettin' a lot of practice with passage after passage after passage. when u feel more comfortable with the passages... work on tyming. *shrug*

if they're changing the format of the exam, you're gonna wanna know that well!

hope that helps and good luck!

thanks for your insight pcs! i checked the mcat website and you're right, they are just tossing some ochem questions, adding some genetics, and changing the order a bit. i think i'm going to go ahead and buy this stuff- it seems like a decent start. thanks again for the advice! i know what i'll be doing all next year- passage...after passage...after passage... :D