Is this a good idea for rec. letters? As in what to give the schools??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. H

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, here is the deal. When schools ask for two science and one non-science faculty. So the non-science faculty I got is not the greatest, so do you think I should call the schools and ask them if its okay to send in something else to replace it (such as volunteer rec letter, doctor shadow rec letter)?? That way, if they say okay, I can send in the better volunteer letter, and then if its not okay I get screwed. But do you think its a good idea to call and ask? Or will they look down upon me for asking?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should just do what they say.

Are you submitting a premed committee letter? I handed in my 6 LORs to my premed committee, they wrote the letter and attached the other LORs behind. I sent everything to every school, I didn't mix and match. So you could add that extra letter in addition to your non-science letter.

yeah, but see what if I don't have a real solid non-science faculty letter? Do you think it would be bad to call and ask if I could substitue it?
thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Do what they tell you to do (you won't know for sure what that is, until they tell you on their secondaries, although you could do some research on individual school websites beforehand). You should do everything to can to get a real solid non-science letter, and then send in other letters as extras. If your school has a committee, then most schools require you to submit a composite committee letter, in which case you only have to worry about what letters the committee wants and not what each medschool wants.

i thought most schools wanted 2 of each?

in any case, i had 6 letters, like foxy.

1 engineering prof: class & research
1 enginnering prof: class
1 humanities prof: class
1 humanities prof: class
1 volunteering coordinator: extra curricular
1 employer: job

the engineering profs weren't exactly science cause I thought of science as physics, chemistry, math,and bio. but it worked out in the end. :)