Is this a good idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted74029

I start the Kaplan Course in two weeks, I recently checked out the Kaplan Comprehensive Review book and I started working through it and wanted to get through the book before the first day of class. After Day 1 I realized that it will be impossible for me to finish all 1000+ pages of this book in 2 weeks by reading and taking notes on each chapter. So would it help me any to just read it straight through without any note taking, which I could definitely do in 2 weeks. Take the practice exam in the book then go in and take the diagnostic on day 1. I think that could definitely give me a leg up on some of the material.

Members don't see this ad.

I start the Kaplan Course in two weeks, I recently checked out the Kaplan Comprehensive Review book and I started working through it and wanted to get through the book before the first day of class. After Day 1 I realized that it will be impossible for me to finish all 1000+ pages of this book in 2 weeks by reading and taking notes on each chapter. So would it help me any to just read it straight through without any note taking, which I could definitely do in 2 weeks. Take the practice exam in the book then go in and take the diagnostic on day 1. I think that could definitely give me a leg up on some of the material.

yes, you can do that. remember, every person's study approach is different. do what works for you. :luck:

I would recommend not doing much of anything until you have started the course. You will have PLENTY to do once you start (depending on the pace of your course). Then, later, you can focus on the material with which you struggled and ignore the stuff that comes easily to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I read straight through the "Flowers book" and did fine. I don't really see any reason to put off studying until you start. That's a waste of 2 weeks, in my opinion.

There's such a thing as "inefficient studying," and if a student intends to follow the Kaplan method all the way through, (s)he could actually "mis-learn" some things and then have to go back.

But you're right, no sense in wasting two weeks. OP: why not just take the time that you would study and READ? They say that lots of reading (good reading, not Maxim) can help prepare you for VR.

Alternately, take the time and memorize the TCA cycle cold. That'll serve you for years to come :)

id run through the book while taking notes..
hey, it beats sitting around doing nothing (towards improving your mcat score) for two weeks. i think the sooner you start, the better.

Just so you know, Kaplan suggests that you don't pre-study any of their materials before taking their diagnostic. Also so you know, I think a lot of what Kaplan says is a load of :bullcrap:.

They're probably just tryin to cover their *** on that "higher score guarantee."

I would say to start attacking your weak points now....whether its orgo chem, molec bio, physiology, acid base chem , E/M or whatever

I would definitely start NOW. Don't waste time. Go through the whole thing once without much attention to details.

what i did was read through the material highlighting pertinent stuff. at least by reading beforehand you'll have refreshed the material in your mind then the class will go over much easier. good luck

Why don't you buy an MCAT prep book or two from a different company and just work through that for the next 2 weeks? This way, you'll still have all the Kaplan stuff to go through when the course starts and you'll have a head start from the other material.

Read a lot of plain old fiction or non-fiction books; that's really the only way to work on verbal, and it sounds like you'll have a lot of time to work on the science-based sections after these two weeks. There isn't a trick to verbal or any specific knowledge that you need to learn; it's literally "read the section, read the question, answer"

Go to the library and pick up any non-fiction book that's difficult for you to read. Verbal is a pain in the *** to improve in a short time, and reading comprehension is very important to improving your score.

This would be better in MCAT Discussions. Moving.

OP-
Take the 2 weeks off and study your arse off once the course starts. There's no reason to study for the diagnostic test. Don't freak out if your score is low. I think I got a 22.