is this a good idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ape Man

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I thought I,d take a shot at my first post, anyway,
I just got my B.S. in May and between now and then I,ve taken a like'n to the nursing field (nowadays its like being a doctor). I just got into a RN program and to make a long story short, Im cathing alot of flack from my family and friends. They say that its like going backwards for me to go to nursing school now. This can't be true! A BS and a RN havve got to be good for something.

any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Just had to respond to something you said. Being a nurse is NOT like being a doctor, these days. Inter-related, but totally different areas of care. We each have our own scopes of practice and our own accountabilities. The only type of nurse whose scope may resemble a doctor's is a nurse practitioner or a nurse anesthetist.

I would recomend to you to research the nursing field. Perhaps you could go to your local hospital and shadow a nurse in a med/surg or ICU unit for a couple of days. This will either persuade you or dissuade you.

Originally posted by Ape Man
I just got my B.S. in May and between now and then I,ve taken a like'n to the nursing field (nowadays its like being a doctor). any advice?
Firstly nursing is NOT like being a doctor. If being a doctor is what attracts you to health care, then go and be a doctor! Otherwise, should you become a nurse, you will be constantly frustrated at not being able to do the things you may have thought you were going to be doing as an RN but arn't or can't!

Nurses have many "extended" roles these days it is true, that take them way beyond the traditional role they used to filfil. However, central to all nursing practice must be the actual *nursing* of the patient ie caring for their physical, emotional and spititual needs during illness and health. But I shall stop ranting at this point...

I agree, go and get some work experience and see what nurses really do before you embark on any courses. maybe medicine is more for you?

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take it from this doc who was recently a nurse, the roles are as DIFFERENT as night and day. I agree with the 2 above posts, shadow nurses and docs, it may help you figure what you really want to do with your life.

ted, D.O.
Emergency Medicine, PGY-2
somewhere in the city:cool: :cool: :cool:

I agree with all that has been said. Both my wife and I greaduated with our BS in Biology, then decided to enter a nursing program. Although we learned a lot during the nursing program, we both knew that medicine is where our hearts lie.

There is a big difference between the things you do as a nurse, and the things you will do as a physician. I can say that there are many aspects of nursing that I believe will make both my wife and I better physicians, but If medicine is where your heart is, go for it.

On the other hand, if nursing is truly your interest then shadow a few nurses, see what the profession entails and make your decision. Do not expect nursing school to be like medical school.

Good Luck in your decision!