Is this a good idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Telekinesis

Gig 'Em
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Taking the MCAT with only a semester of Anatomy, Physics and OChem?

Members don't see this ad.

Not only that but master all the material in your pre reqs. Understand rather then memorize. Look for overlapping concepts between your pre req classes. Do all of this and mcat studying won't be too bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You might be able to get away with only a semester of physics, but ochem is definitely required. I don't think anatomy is very important - you really just need the physiology.

i'd say phys 2 = ochem 2 for the mcat. I took the mcat w/o ochem 2 and had to guess on about 6 questions.

take the pre-reqs. you are shooting yourself in the foot by not giving yourself a chance to learn all the material first.

You might be able to get away with only a semester of physics, but ochem is definitely required. I don't think anatomy is very important - you really just need the physiology.

I agree and disagree. I think you absolutely need physics 2. My mcat was prob more physics then gen chem, and literally all the physics was physics 2 stuff. There was almost no ochem on my test, only around five questions that were really basic and easy. And I agree about anatomy, I doubt it will help you at all. It did help on ONE question though, lol. There was a discrete question that was from anatomy but it was really easy and it's taught in any basic biology book.

Take pre-reqs before MCAT.

Think about it. If you did the pre-reqs first, you'd understand/already know most of the MCAT content. Thus your studying would be easier.

If you don't do your pre-reqs first, you'll be teaching yourself the material as you study for the MCAT. Studying would be harder because you also have to teach yourself the material first. An extra step that may hinder your score.

No mcat prep book can fully prepare you for all of the information needed to do well on the mcat. It would be a waste of money to take the test when you are not prepared. You should take the test once and no more if possible!