DoctaDude87

10+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2009
Indiana
Status
  1. Attending Physician
This is a question for recent IM grads. going into a hospitalist gig. and current IM hospitalist.

Workplace: Indiana, Indianapolis
Position: Hospitalist/IM
Work Schedule 7 on/7 off, Average pt. load 17-18 pts, sometimes get 20 pts, have APPs help, covers tele. med. to county hospitals, has dedicated nocturnist (no need to cover shifts), have to two swing shifts (3pm-3am) 2-3x a year.
Base Salary: 250K, raises 5k every other year
Sign On:10 k per year signed
RVU: 1$ per RVU and increases by about 1.5$ per year maxed at 10yrs
Qual. Incentive: ~ 30k a year, obv. depends on various factors.

This is a contract for a recent IM residency grad. I've had colleagues, also right out of residency, get contracts similar to min. base salary start 310k. They cover ICU and do small procedure like CL placement. The hospital I mentioned above has an open ICU but we don't manage vents. I can do CLs and intubate, ALCS, etc...

Just wanted to get other people's opinion.

Thanks in advance! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2009
Status
  1. Attending Physician
This is a question for recent IM grads. going into a hospitalist gig. and current IM hospitalist.

Work Schedule 7 on/7 off, Average pt. load 17-18 pts, sometimes get 20 pts, have APPs help, covers tele. med. to county hospitals, has dedicated nocturnist (no need to cover shifts), have to two swing shifts (3pm-3am) 2-3x a year.

This is a contract for a recent IM residency grad. I've had colleagues, also right out of residency, get contracts similar to min. base salary start 310k. They cover ICU and do small procedure like CL placement. The hospital I mentioned above has an open ICU but we don't manage vents. I can do CLs and intubate, ALCS, etc...

I don't love that patient load with only 250k, particularly in the midwest. I also don't like that your salary increase is only 2% per year every other year (so effectively 1% per year). This means that regardless of your experience, if you get saddled with low RVU times (like right now, for example, at my hospital), you lose a lot of your income. I would ask for at least a 5k raise per year, if not more. I would also ask for base salary of at least $270,000.

Remember: This is their initial offer that they're hoping you won't negotiate.

Reactions: 4 users

RadsWFA1900

2+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2018

You should be getting a 2% raise at year at minimum which is pretty much inflation.

Why they gave you a dollar amount is probably just to confuse people.

Reactions: 1 user

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads