Is this a good non-medical volunteer experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rlplucien

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently started volunteering at a hostel in my city. Basically, I take international as well as domestic travelers on walking tours of the city about once a week. I also will be at the information desk to help out people who are new to the city. I really love this work. I love being able to meet people from all over the world and show them my city.

Now, whether it is a good EC or not, I will continue to do it because I like it a lot. I'm just curious if this type of volunteering will actually look good on applications.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Any volunteering experience can be spun to make a good addition to an application.

There are a lot of slots for experiences on the AMCAS which I struggled to fill. (I included fixing up bikes and a comic book I am drawing and I still had room to spare).

If you were to explain your interest in the program and find a way to relate to how it will make you a better doctor (ie. Medicine doesn't just stop at the patient, it involves taking care of the family as well).

It obviously isn't the best thing you could do out there and it won't turn heads. But It fills the space and at least is hospital related.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've recently started volunteering at a hostel in my city. Basically, I take international as well as domestic travelers on walking tours of the city about once a week. I also will be at the information desk to help out people who are new to the city. I really love this work. I love being able to meet people from all over the world and show them my city.

Now, whether it is a good EC or not, I will continue to do it because I like it a lot. I'm just curious if this type of volunteering will actually look good on applications.

Thanks.
This is good! And it does sound interesting anyway, IMO.

Thanks for the advice. Should I also attempt to do some other form of community service such as working at a homeless shelter? Also, is it possible that this can count as leadership experience since I will be taking large groups on tour, teaching children about other cultures, etc...?

I would maybe stress the point that you are learning about diversity/other cultures through your volunteer position in your app. You could also include good communication skills. I really think as long as you also have the medical experience, your other volunteer work doesn't have to be medically-related for it to be relevant. At the least, it shows you are well-rounded, but at the most, you can point out how the skills or lessons you learned through the job will help you in your future career.