Is this a good opthalmoscope/otoscope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hmm...seems not from the reviews I didn't notice before.

hmm...seems not from the reviews I didn't notice before.

honestly doesn't matter. If it works and it's cheap, it's good. Not like most med students ever use theirs again after 1st /2nd year.

Members don't see this ad :)
honestly doesn't matter. If it works and it's cheap, it's good. Not like most med students ever use theirs again after 1st /2nd year.

Well, the thing is, I want something longer-term because I feel like it is something that would be handy to have around in the future, even at home. I don't want one that doesn't actually do what it has to do. It seems that this one doesn't have a dimming bulb (not sure how important that is because I'm in my first year and have only used it preliminarily so far). I can get that model for $60 pretty much new so I'm wondering if I should do that, or just spend $100-150 for a good condition, better quality set.

Well, the thing is, I want something longer-term because I feel like it is something that would be handy to have around in the future, even at home. I don't want one that doesn't actually do what it has to do. It seems that this one doesn't have a dimming bulb (not sure how important that is because I'm in my first year and have only used it preliminarily so far). I can get that model for $60 pretty much new so I'm wondering if I should do that, or just spend $100-150 for a good condition, better quality set.

Honestly, unless you're going to be doing house calls or working internationally, you'll find that your desire for it being handy ong-term will culminate in it being in a drawer for years on end. Now if you are somehow going to be in one of those fields, you can buy a really nice one then.

Honestly, unless you're going to be doing house calls or working internationally, you'll find that your desire for it being handy ong-term will culminate in it being in a drawer for years on end. Now if you are somehow going to be in one of those fields, you can buy a really nice one then.

Well I was more thinking along the lines of having it for future use if I need to with my kids or currently even with family if there is ever a small issue. The thought came to my mind just recently when my mom suddenly lost hearing in one ear and I was worried it was something more serious due to the acute onset, but it ended up being just a cerumen impaction. If I had an otoscope/ophthalmoscope, it would have saved her a 2 hour trip to the doc.

Well I was more thinking along the lines of having it for future use if I need to with my kids or currently even with family if there is ever a small issue. The thought came to my mind just recently when my mom suddenly lost hearing in one ear and I was worried it was something more serious due to the acute onset, but it ended up being just a cerumen impaction. If I had an otoscope/ophthalmoscope, it would have saved her a 2 hour trip to the doc.

You'd probably still make the trip. You're not going to trust what you think you see till way after med school anyway. I cant tell you how many times i've looked in my son's ear suspecting that he had an ear infection due to how he was acting and seeing what looked to me like a healthy eardum and still going to the pediatrician anyway cos what the heck do i know as an M1.
You'll probably not trust what you see on your own at home till much later in your medical education in terms of ruling out something serious. You'll always think, what if i'm wrong.

You'd probably still make the trip. You're not going to trust what you think you see till way after med school anyway. I cant tell you how many times i've looked in my son's ear suspecting that he had an ear infection due to how he was acting and seeing what looked to me like a healthy eardum and still going to the pediatrician anyway cos what the heck do i know as an M1.
You'll probably not trust what you see on your own at home till much later in your medical education in terms of ruling out something serious. You'll always think, what if i'm wrong.

Oh yeah, I definitely agree with that. But I'm saying 10 years from now when I have kids, I may still have these scopes that I can use to check instead of dragging them somewhere else. Also, if I didn't see the cerumen in the ear, I would force her to go to the doc right away...whereas she actually ended up waiting about a week before seeing the doc.

I guess when it comes down to it, I don't need it that much, but for $60 for a pretty much new set, it seems to be worth getting. That is, if that set is actually pretty good (reviews seem mixed).

Oh yeah, I definitely agree with that. But I'm saying 10 years from now when I have kids, I may still have these scopes that I can use to check instead of dragging them somewhere else. Also, if I didn't see the cerumen in the ear, I would force her to go to the doc right away...whereas she actually ended up waiting about a week before seeing the doc.

I guess when it comes down to it, I don't need it that much, but for $60 for a pretty much new set, it seems to be worth getting. That is, if that set is actually pretty good (reviews seem mixed).

I've actually seen that set up close. Its pretty much a nice penlight with a lens.
I guess for $60 it couldnt hurt

I've actually seen that set up close. Its pretty much a nice penlight with a lens.
I guess for $60 it couldnt hurt

Hehe, sounds crappy :p. The thing is, I'd be getting this on craigslist...and I'd rather invest $100 or $120 for one that's significantly better than waste $60 on a "nice penlight" :p

My teachers recommended my class to avoid getting pocket sets because they're a bit harder to use. I would say to just use a standard one so you can practice at home and get used to the ones you'd use at your hospital anyway.

My teachers recommended my class to avoid getting pocket sets because they're a bit harder to use. I would say to just use a standard one so you can practice at home and get used to the ones you'd use at your hospital anyway.
A pocket ophthalmoscope is a bit harder to use than a full sized one and doesn't have the full range of diopter adjustments. That said, I just used the Welch-Allyn pocket ophthalmoscope that I got in 1980 as a gift when I started med school to examine a patient in my office. The optics are a little dusty but it works just fine.

A pocket ophthalmoscope is a bit harder to use than a full sized one and doesn't have the full range of diopter adjustments. That said, I just used the Welch-Allyn pocket ophthalmoscope that I got in 1980 as a gift when I started med school to examine a patient in my office. The optics are a little dusty but it works just fine.

Do you think the model I linked to in the first post on Amazon is a decent quality set? Would you say it's worth spending $60 on that vs. waiting out and getting a quality set for $100-150? My school doesn't require these (at least not yet), btu I feel like it would be good to have for practice and/or future use. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never used ADC so I could't say. For 60 bucks, seems like it would be hard to go wrong. At worst, consider it disposable, at best it may last 30 years.

You know that when you actually have the opportunity to use that thing you will probably misplace it right? ;)

Is buying a diagnostic set really worth that? You won't use it, don't buy one. I know it's exciting, but resist.

As a med student you'll suddenly become overwhelmed with medical advice requests. I wish you the best with diagnosing the multitude of ear and eye problems your friends and family develop.

Seriously.

Is buying a diagnostic set really worth that? You won't use it, don't buy one. I know it's exciting, but resist.

As a med student you'll suddenly become overwhelmed with medical advice requests. I wish you the best with diagnosing the multitude of ear and eye problems your friends and family develop.

Seriously.

The best part about your dad being a doc is that even though you are a med student, everyone still asks him. Works out great.

My friend called me up the other day and asked me to interpret the GFR and BUN/CR for her Pommeranian. I am serious.

I really don't mind this stuff at all, because people asking me questions forces me to look stuff up and it keeps me sharp on stuff that maybe I haven't seen in a while. The pommeranian thing was funny though.

My friend called me up the other day and asked me to interpret the GFR and BUN/CR for her Pommeranian. I am serious.

I really don't mind this stuff at all, because people asking me questions forces me to look stuff up and it keeps me sharp on stuff that maybe I haven't seen in a while. The pommeranian thing was funny though.

God I hate Pomeranians.

is a diagnostic kit necessary to own? my bro finished first year and says i don't need one for myself.

*calmly punches self in head*

Don't buy a diagnostic set.

Agreed. They tried to make it sound like it was required for us to buy ours but I simply told them I had one I was getting from somewhere else and then never purchased it. My dad, as somewhat of a gag, bought me a tuning fork, reflex hammer and some pen lights. I ordered a stethoscope. Saved myself 800 dollars.

They try to act like it is so critical and they say they don't want us to buy unnecessary items but I swear they don't realize people take money out for crap like that and that there is interest on top of it. I much rather discover that I need to pick one up and pay 10 dollars more at a later date than pay all that money and use it twice.

As far as practicing technique. It takes about 3 tries to get the otoscope down (with the damn cord) and about 4 to 5 tries to learn how to do a proper funduscopic exam if you have a good teacher.

I just don't see what kind of use looking in someone's ears does during your off time. You will either see something and have to take them to a doctor or you won't see something but they'll still be miserable and you may have to take them to a doctor.

*calmly punches self in head*

Don't buy a diagnostic set.
Definitely agree with this. Don't get one. ESPECIALLY don't get the Pan-Optic. You won't need it, and it's a really big cost.

I hear the Welch Allyn set is pretty good to have for long-term use.

Definitely agree with this. Don't get one. ESPECIALLY don't get the Pan-Optic. You won't need it, and it's a really big cost.

The Pan Optic looks like a cannon. Like 1/4 of our class ended up getting one because they promoted the heck out of it. What a joke.

The Pan Optic looks like a cannon. Like 1/4 of our class ended up getting one because they promoted the heck out of it. What a joke.
Yeah they're going to regret that purchase before long. It will just sit in the bottom of their closet, like the rest of the Pan-Optics around the country. It's unfortunate but true.

Thank GOD for SDN because without yall I would have fallen for all of the bullsh medical equipment med schools are telling us to get. I am just getting a good stethoscope and spending the $800 bucks I saved on a new TV. Seems like a good investment for med school.

Another reason not to get them: when you would actually need it (clinic and wards) they will be available either on the wall or at the nurses station.

And when you are in the third year, you don't want to be carrying that around with you for 2 reasons. 1. your pockets are full with other things (which vary depending on the rotation) 2. you will lose it. And doesn't the hospital take enough without sucking up your $600 medical equipment.

If you want one after med school - buy it then. When you are paid. As stated earlier, you won't trust your judgement at home until then anyway.

I'm finishing up med school, wasted (a family member's) money on this crap, used it 2x + looking in people's ears at home and seeing wax. Luckily, I found a nice home for it with a local physician/ family friend.

If you want to find medical equipment to buy: pen light. tuning fork (for neurology and to play with bc its kinda fun - and they are cheap) and a stethoscope - you don't need the cardiologist scope. The $50 - $100 ones are fine.

Eh, for as much time as you use it, might as well splurge the extra 50 dollars on the nicer stethoscope. In a world where they comfortably raise our tuitions by the thousands, a latte is near 4 bucks, and one spends hundreds on question banks...what is the extra 50-100 dollars for a stethoscope you have more than a coinflip's chance of using afterwards in life?

Eh, for as much time as you use it, might as well splurge the extra 50 dollars on the nicer stethoscope. In a world where they comfortably raise our tuitions by the thousands, a latte is near 4 bucks, and one spends hundreds on question banks...what is the extra 50-100 dollars for a stethoscope you have more than a coinflip's chance of using afterwards in life?
Agreed. Get a nice one. I used mine every day on every rotation except surgery.

The only reason I bought one was at the time all the clinics didn't have these on the walls (this was shortly after Katrina). I don't think they are a necessary purchase at all. Hopefully I can pawn mine off to some unsuspecting first year before I graduate for half price.