Is this a good pcat score for getting into any pharmacy school in the U.S.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rkishek1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Verbal Ability 385 22%
Biology 402 46%
Reading Comprehension 368 7%
Quantitative Ability 416 77%
Chemistry 422 81%
Composite 399 43%

This is my fourth time taking the pcat and these are my scores. So the first time I took the pcat, I got a 7 percentile composite. The second time, 16 percentile composite. The third time, 31 percentile composite. The fourth time, 43 percentile composite. I have a reading comprehension disability and my reading and verbal scores have stayed the same scores since. It seems like I can never get them up because of this and after taking the pcat four times, they have stayed the same. All my other scores have went up. My overall gpa is a 2.72. I am getting my bachelor degree in chemistry before I go to pharmacy school. I do have plenty of work experience in the pharmacy. I also have research experience. Will I be able to get into any pharmacy school in the U.S.?

Members don't see this ad.

Generally, a bare minimum score is at least a 50%, but even with that score your probably going to want to apply to lower tier schools to have a chance. On average, a decent score to shoot for is at least a 70% composite. I mean, if you do apply with this PCAT score, you definitely want to make sure other parts of your application are absolutely stellar. Like a 3.8 GPA or higher for example, like TONS of volunteer experiences, TONS of leadership experiences, experience as a Tech, and are able to explain your PCAT scores thoroughly within the admission essays or personal statement. Also, lets say that you got a 20% on your first PCAT, and this time you got the 43%, that will look good for Admission Committees, but again, with this score, you want the rest of your application to be absolutely stellar. Schools have reported ranges between 25% and 99%. I guarantee the guy with the 25% had a stellar rest of his application and a very good reason to why he got that score, in addition to proving he can handle the rigor of Pharmacy School.

I got a 70 percentile on the PCAT. I got a 98% in Chem, 85% in Math, 80% in Bio, Verbal 33%, 4% in RC, and a 4 on the writing. I got into the #3 Pharmacy School in the country, University of Minnesota - Twin Cities!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Generally, a bare minimum score is at least a 50%, but even with that score your probably going to want to apply to lower tier schools to have a chance. On average, a decent score to shoot for is at least a 70% composite. I mean, if you do apply with this PCAT score, you definitely want to make sure other parts of your application are absolutely stellar. Like a 3.8 or higher for example, like TONS of volunteer experiences, TONS of leadership experiences, experience as a Tech, and are able to explain your PCAT scores thoroughly within the admission essays or personal statement. Also, lets say that you got a 20% on your first PCAT, and this time you got the 43%, that will look good for Admission Committees, but again, with this score, you want the rest of your application to be absolutely stellar. Schools have reported ranges between 25% and 99%. I guarantee the guy with the 25% had a stellar rest of his application and a very good reason to why he got that score, in addition to proving he can handle the rigor of Pharmacy School.

I got a 70 percentile on the PCAT. I got a 98% in Chem, 85% in Math, 80% in Bio, Verbal 33%, 4% in RC, and a 4 on the writing. I got into the #3 Pharmacy School in the country, University of Minnesota - Twin Cities!

That's very nice. I was going to let you know that my first time I took the pcat, I got a 7 percentile composite. I thought there was no hope for me. But the study materials like the Dr. Collins, Kaplan, and pearson exams have really helped me to bring my score up. After my fourth time taking the pcat, I got the 43 percentile composite. My scores were all going up slowly. But with all the 4 times I have taken the pcat, I take the highest scores for each of my sections and the score came out as a 400, which represents the 50th percentile. I know schools take the highest for each section. Do you know if they care about like the 400 score or mostly the percentile score?

That's very nice. I was going to let you know that my first time I took the pcat, I got a 7 percentile composite. I thought there was no hope for me. But the study materials like the Dr. Collins, Kaplan, and pearson exams have really helped me to bring my score up. After my fourth time taking the pcat, I got the 43 percentile composite. My scores were all going up slowly. But with all the 4 times I have taken the pcat, I take the highest scores for each of my sections and the score came out as a 400, which represents the 50th percentile. I know schools take the highest for each section. Do you know if they care about like the 400 score or mostly the percentile score?
I'm not entirely sure! I would assume that the only scores their interested in are the percentile scores since those are the scores they list on their websites rather than then 200-600 range scoring!

Members don't see this ad :)
Schools look at what ever is the highest composite or highest Scaled Score. Honestly I have not encountered a school where they mix and match scores (ie: SAT/ACT).

I got into one school! I am going to Hampton University School of pharmacy in Virginia!

Reactions: 1 users