Is this a good reason for pursuing ccom?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dwade06

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a silly question, but can I mention ccom location in chicago as being a good reason for believing they would be best for me. I grew up in nyc and am very comfortable living in a area where others look like me and where I can just walk to the next block to get something to eat. I dont know if ill be able to survive in the middle of kentucky...

Members don't see this ad.

You can praise CCOM's location and say that it is one of the reasons you applied there. I would not say you like living in area where others look like you since diversity and cultural competence is a part of every school's mission.

Reactions: 1 users
Just say you like the location.

"others look like me" indeed.

This may be a silly question, but can I mention ccom location in chicago as being a good reason for believing they would be best for me. I grew up in nyc and am very comfortable living in a area where others look like me and where I can just walk to the next block to get something to eat. I dont know if ill be able to survive in the middle of kentucky...

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if trolling or actually serious.

It would be in your benefit to tell them the truth. Please.

Dwade is from Chicago

If you know Long Island geography going from CCOM to Chicago takes longer than going from Stony Brook to NYC

Edit: So yeah, say you like the location, but don't mention the part about walking a street over to get food because CCOM is not in the city

DG is about half the mileage to Chicago when comparing with Stony Brook to NYC (I've done both!). With traffic, both are pretty brutal, but I do think Stony Brook is more remote. Anyway, I completely agree with your point... CCOM is certainly not urban by any stretch of the imagination.

I just put the addresses into google maps and it said that the metro from CCOM to Chicago is 2hrs, which is a little longer than the LIRR from Stony Brook. But I guess if you're driving it would be shorter to go from CCOM to Chicago than Stony to NYC

I was thinking driving, not train, so out of curiosity I also looked it up. It's 1 hour (or less if you get an express train) from Downers Grove to Union Station on the Metra, and about 2 hours (+/- 20 minutes depending on time of day) to go from Stony Brook to Penn Station on the LIRR, which includes a transfer. SB is about 57 miles from NYC; DG is about 22 miles from downtown Chicago. Just in case anyone was curious...

No DO school is in the main part of a city.

As people mentioned Ccom is in a suburb
Tourony (in harlem) which is the city but not a great part
Nyit is in a suburb
Kcumb is in the city but not in a great part (I think)
Western is in a suburb of LA
NSU is in a suburb.
MSU isnt in a city
PCOM is kinda in the city but not exactly
Lecom B is far from Tampa

OP if you want walkable your best bet is probably kcumb/Pcom/tourony not ccom

Oh, you're right. Totally didn't realize that at this time of day google maps was giving me bus travel for the top route options

(Also, your username reminds me of and it's great, hahaha)

That video has me rolling, I love that little ananas!

Reactions: 1 user

Nyit is in a suburb
NSU is in a suburb.
MSU isnt in a city

I'm not a Touro NY student, but I do live near Harlem. Taxi Driver New York is long gone. East Harlem still has the highest violent crime rate in Manhattan (which is still nowhere near what it was in the bad days), but Touro is not there. West Harlem, where the campus is (and I was just a few blocks away from there last night for dinner) is gentrified as ****. I would never feel unsafe there during the day, and at night you're also fine too.

Living/going to school around there might be difficult if you are the skittish type (there always seem to be a ton of homeless people, more so than in other parts of the city, whenever I get off the 2 at 125, some drunks screaming, the occasional shady character). Unless you're super sheltered or afraid of black people, you're fine. It's also pretty easy and convenient to get to the stereotypically "cool" parts of the city from there. You're not too far from the northern edge of Central Park. Lots of good coffee shops and new restaurants in Harlem, as well as luxury condos even!

Nyit is in a suburb
NSU is in a suburb.
MSU isnt in a city

Adding to the list:
AZCOM is Glendale, a suburb of Phoenix
ATSU-SOMA is in Mesa, another suburb of Phoenix (for your first year anyway)
LECOM-SH is about 45 minutes from Pittsburgh
RVUCOM is in Parker, a suburb of Denver

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not a Touro NY student, but I do live near Harlem. Taxi Driver New York is long gone. East Harlem still has the highest violent crime rate in Manhattan (which is still nowhere near what it was in the bad days), but Touro is not there. West Harlem, where the campus is (and I was just a few blocks away from there last night for dinner) is gentrified as ****. I would never feel unsafe there during the day, and at night you're also fine too.

Living/going to school around there might be difficult if you are the skittish type (there always seem to be a ton of homeless people, more so than in other parts of the city, whenever I get off the 2 at 125, some drunks screaming, the occasional shady character). Unless you're super sheltered or afraid of black people, you're fine. It's also pretty easy and convenient to get to the stereotypically "cool" parts of the city from there. You're not too far from the northern edge of Central Park. Lots of good coffee shops and new restaurants in Harlem, as well as luxury condos even!

Harlem isn't what it used to be for sure! But its still not in the middle of the middle of the city.

Adding to the list:

Good additions! All still suburbs though.

Harlem isn't what it used to be for sure! But its still not in the middle of the middle of the city.

True! I just wanted to add that that part of Harlem is pretty great. Not as cool as the NYU area maybe, but definitely city living with good local stuff. But of course I'm biased since I live nearby :)

True! I just wanted to add that that part of Harlem is pretty great. Not as cool as the NYU area maybe, but definitely city living with good local stuff. But of course I'm biased since I live nearby :)

Oh its definitely city living. Probably the most urban DO school. Heck even the non best part of NYC is still pretty cool.

Adding to the list:

Oh, very true (LECOM-SH is actually in a pretty small town). But they were the schools I could think of off the top of my head where OP would at least have access to an urban area.