Is this a good reason to list a program as your #1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychiatryhopeful

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
As the interview trail is winding down, I'm starting to make a rank list in my mind. I kind of knew what my #1 was from the beginning and this was validated when I went to the interview. This place not only has a great reputation, but it will also afford me with really awesome opportunities to get involved with cool projects. However, one of the main reasons why I feel very strongly about this program is because it's in the city where my family lives. I moved away from home for graduate school and am yearning to go back. I guess my question is, is it okay to tell your #1 program that in addition to X,Y,Z, one of the reasons why they are your top choice is because they are located in a region that is highly desirable for you due to family reasons? Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,
As the interview trail is winding down, I'm starting to make a rank list in my mind. I kind of knew what my #1 was from the beginning and this was validated when I went to the interview. This place not only has a great reputation, but it will also afford me with really awesome opportunities to get involved with cool projects. However, one of the main reasons why I feel very strongly about this program is because it's in the city where my family lives. I moved away from home for graduate school and am yearning to go back. I guess my question is, is it okay to tell your #1 program that in addition to X,Y,Z, one of the reasons why they are your top choice is because they are located in a region that is highly desirable for you due to family reasons? Thank you in advance.
I don't see how would that hurt you? Go ahead :)

Hi Everyone,

At the end of the day, programs do not have time to worry about little details like this. Think of how absurd it would be for them to mention in their rank meeting, “rank him lower, one of the reasons he wants to come here is because his family is here”.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
At the end of the day, programs do not have time to worry about little details like this. Think of how absurd it would be for them to mention in their rank meeting, “rank him lower, one of the reasons he wants to come here is because his family is here”.
Programs tend to want people who want to stay in the area. Family can be important in that regard. How much it will change the list, eh...

well they might not want him slacking off spending time with his family when he could do extra call ;)

Programs know that family support assists in producing resilience in the resident.

I guess my question is, is it okay to tell your #1 program that in addition to X,Y,Z, one of the reasons why they are your top choice is because they are located in a region that is highly desirable for you due to family reasons?
The answer to your thread title is yes. The answer to your post's question is that it barely matters what you tell programs -- they won't believe you until after match anyway.

Reactions: 4 users
Mention it for sure. Programs want people who really want to be there, so the mention will likely either slightly help you or at worst just be ignored.

Honestly having family nearby is probably the best reason I can think of to rank a program #1.

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly having family nearby is probably the best reason I can think of to rank a program #1.

I'm gone to interviews and explicit talked about being close to family when asked "Why this program?" and it's always been well received. My rank list will be heavily influenced by wanting to be near my and my SO's family.

Last edited:
I'm gone to interviews and explicit talked about being close to family when asked "Why this program?" and it's always been well received. My rankles will be heavily influenced by wanting to be near my and my SO's family.
I'm totally calling it 'rankles' for the rest of this interview season.

Reactions: 4 users
thank you all for your comments! they are very helpful. There seems to be some talk about how programs do not trust everything you say (i.e. telling a program that it's your #1 program). Would it seem more genuine if i were to have someone from my school (ie, dean or chairman) call or email the PD on my behalf?
It shouldn't matter.
I've only had one advisor reach out on behalf of an applicant to inform me that we were his #1, and it made no difference. In this case, he was already in our top 3, but if he'd been in the bottom 10, we wouldn't have changed our ranking.
Again--it JUST. DOESN'T. MATTER.

It shouldn't matter.
I've only had one advisor reach out on behalf of an applicant to inform me that we were his #1, and it made no difference. In this case, he was already in our top 3, but if he'd been in the bottom 10, we wouldn't have changed our ranking.
Again--it JUST. DOESN'T. MATTER.

Now if you could get OldPsychDoc to call somebody on your behalf, then it might matter.

(Edit note: please don't actually ask OldPsychDoc to call people on your behalf, I'm only being flippant)

Reactions: 2 users
thank you all for your comments! they are very helpful. There seems to be some talk about how programs do not trust everything you say (i.e. telling a program that it's your #1 program). Would it seem more genuine if i were to have someone from my school (ie, dean or chairman) call or email the PD on my behalf?
This can be helpful for getting interviews (in fact was how I got many of my interviews) but is unlikely to be helpful for ranking

Sending a brief note/email stating your #1 preference is fine. Having somebody else do it serves no purpose. Communicating such things to a program could have an impact but it would be minor (you won't go from the bottom to the top; but it could push you up a couple of slots). A lot of us PDs have been around for a decent amount of time and have had people tell us we are #1 and then the person does not come. In my experience this is a minority but it occurs frequently enough that I do not put money on it.