Is this a good response to "Why Dentistry"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoToHolmes

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview coming up and I'm pretty sure they're going to ask "Why Dentistry" for the first question and I want to have a good answer. But before I post my response to the question I want to ask if this question is really testing how I deliver arguments. The way I see it, everyone is going to have a very similar answer (I want to help people, flexibility, working with hands, etc) and it really comes down to how well you can speak under immense pressure.

Anyway, here's my response: "When choosing a career I took a philosophical approach in order to find the best path for me. Not everyone will be capable of doing or willing to do what everyone else is capable or willing to do just by virtue of being human beings with different life experiences and material circumstances. For example, I have never had an interest in playing football BUT I was always quick to engage in activities that required me to spend time working with my hands whether that was building bionicles, making pinewood derby cars for boy scouts, or building model kits. Additionally, different people are going to have different levels of investment in different societal problems. Dental care was a problem for my grandparents and they suffered greatly because of it. I have also personally experienced a small slice of that anxiety and pain. Thankfully I was able to mitigate it because I had access to dental care but not everyone is lucky enough to have that. When it came time for me to choose what I wanted to dedicate the rest of my life to, I chose dentistry because I empathize with the struggles posed by the lack of dental care. I chose dentistry because my values and skills aligned most closely with those of dentists. Regardless of how difficult things were, I pushed through it all to be here at this critical moment because in my eyes dentistry was the path to take if I wanted to be able to say that I stayed true to my values and made an effort to make the world better."

I will be breaking this response down into bullet points that are easier to remember during an interview but this is the response I had

Members don't see this ad.

I have an interview coming up and I'm pretty sure they're going to ask "Why Dentistry" for the first question and I want to have a good answer. But before I post my response to the question I want to ask if this question is really testing how I deliver arguments. The way I see it, everyone is going to have a very similar answer (I want to help people, flexibility, working with hands, etc) and it really comes down to how well you can speak under immense pressure.

Anyway, here's my response: "When choosing a career I took a philosophical approach in order to find the best path for me. Not everyone will be capable of doing or willing to do what everyone else is capable or willing to do just by virtue of being human beings with different life experiences and material circumstances. For example, I have never had an interest in playing football BUT I was always quick to engage in activities that required me to spend time working with my hands whether that was building bionicles, making pinewood derby cars for boy scouts, or building model kits. Additionally, different people are going to have different levels of investment in different societal problems. Dental care was a problem for my grandparents and they suffered greatly because of it. I have also personally experienced a small slice of that anxiety and pain. Thankfully I was able to mitigate it because I had access to dental care but not everyone is lucky enough to have that. When it came time for me to choose what I wanted to dedicate the rest of my life to, I chose dentistry because I empathize with the struggles posed by the lack of dental care. I chose dentistry because my values and skills aligned most closely with those of dentists. Regardless of how difficult things were, I pushed through it all to be here at this critical moment because in my eyes dentistry was the path to take if I wanted to be able to say that I stayed true to my values and made an effort to make the world better."

I will be breaking this response down into bullet points that are easier to remember during an interview but this is the response I had
I know you’re planning to break it down but this is too wordy and when you’re under pressure you’ll probably be stumbling through all of this. I would simplify it down a lot and talk less about what others might do.

Reactions: 2 users
I know you’re planning to break it down but this is too wordy and when you’re under pressure you’ll probably be stumbling through all of this. I would simplify it down a lot and talk less about what others might do.

Good idea. But is it a good response in the first place? Breaking it down so that it's easier to deliver doesn't mean much if it doesn't come off as authentic/isn't a good response

Members don't see this ad :)
Good idea. But is it a good response in the first place? Breaking it down so that it's easier to deliver doesn't mean much if it doesn't come off as authentic/isn't a good response
Honestly it reads like you’re trying to stuff in a bunch of things rather than answering authentically. Focus on one story that really highlights why you’ve chosen dentistry.

I quit reading it after your second line. You’re trying to sound smart and impress them, but it sounds fake. You need to answer the question in a couple of sentences from which you can elaborate. I would say, “I worked for a vet and cleaned the animals teeth. I loved it and wanted to go to dental school”.

Reactions: 5 users
No It is literally unreadable and I can’t fathom spending 5 minutes hearing someone actually reciting that to me. Keep it basic and genuine. Just gotta be yourself.

Reactions: 8 users
From your paragraph, I'd just mention that you always enjoyed activities with your hands and how your personal/family history with dental care is what made you consider this career. Then you can explain why your values and skills have persevered through all of the difficult times you've gone through to get to where you are now.. I don't think I would ever use the word "philosophical" when i'm explaining why I'm passionate about something. Make it authentic and flow..

No It is literally unreadable and I can’t fathom spending 5 minutes hearing someone actually reciting that to me. Keep it basic and genuine. Just gotta be yourself.
That’s just it: they are being themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

no
just no

Take your response and boil it down to a few simple sentences. Same goes for your responses to other interview questions. Your interview responses should answer the question directly, be thoughtful while still being concise, and always provide direct examples from your experiences. This will make your interview experience a lot easier.

I really think over preparing for questions is just as dangerous, if not more, than under preparing. You want to have maybe 2-3 main reasons. Do not plan what you are going to say verbatim. interviewers can 100% tell when responses are scripted. I was an interviewer for my undergrad institution, and the best applicants were the ones that were real, honest, and genuine. Remember that an interview is probably around 30 minutes. You will not say everything you want to. And honestly, most of what you say won't be remembered word for word. The interviewer will remember how confident you seem, how genuine you are, and your ability to articulate. As a dental applicant myself, I cannot say for sure how interviews go, but I plan to have 4-5 solid general answers that I prepare in advance, do a bunch of research on the program, and read some relevant papers of current news in the dental field. You got this! Don't overthink it :)

Last edited:
I stopped reading the response after the first sentence.. That's not how people talk. Simplify your response. Congrats on the interview!

Hey dude, I am preparing for my upcoming dental school interviews, and I can tell you I'm not the most qualified person to answer you. But not to sound rude or anything, I stopped reading from the second sentence.

It's not just an answer to the question "why dentistry?" you need to have genuine thoughts without overthinking why you want to become a dentist. Don't use big, essay words because you don't want to sound a robot! For me, my thoughts are coming from my 4,000 hours worth of dental assisting experience. Just think of how you can connect with your personal experience with dentistry. I don't know if this helps, but let me know if you need clarification. Good luck!

It doesn't really seem to answer why dentistry and I tried to sit through reading your paragraph. Honestly? If you're going to deliver it like that verbatim, it's a horrible answer. The problem with these long convoluted answers is that you lose focus and sometimes lose the "genuine" factor. Edit: (and also open yourself up to additional lines of questioning that you may not want to answer or not prepared to answer)

Here's what I tell people. Believe your story. Believe it like it's the truth and religion. Once you believe your "truth", then you will start defending it like the truth. If that "truth" is not reality, you just need to unbrainwash yourself afterwards, otherwise, you might actually start believing what may have started off as a lie. How you deliver the answer to the question is more important than the answer itself. A framework/belief system cannot easily be bullet-pointed and secondary followup questions might poke holes in your memorized bulletpoints. For example, what if the interviewer asked, what values and skills are most closely aligned with those of dentists (answer wrong in the mind of the interviwer and it will look like you know nothing of dentistry or dentists)? What makes you think that making pinewood derby cars would closely resemble any in dentistry? Or even, the other guy said something similar to what you said, why should we choose you? Interviewers can be hostile and testing your response to hostility. I think it's definitely valid because your patients will often be hostile or apprehensive when first meeting you. It's better to leave less loose ends and leave bait for your interviewer to pick up on so that you can steer the line of questioning better towards your favor.

I sound like a sociopath giving you this advice, hahaha.

Good luck!

I agree with everyone else here. If it helps my reason was "I like laughing and eating and both require teeth. I want to be able to give that to people."

Simple. Sweet. And apparently effective.

This website is really helpful in answering all the dental interview questions - including "why dentistry". They have videos on all the common questions asked in interviews

I quit reading it after your second line. You’re trying to sound smart and impress them, but it sounds fake. You need to answer the question in a couple of sentences from which you can elaborate. I would say, “I worked for a vet and cleaned the animals teeth. I loved it and wanted to go to dental school”.

i actually gave up after the first line.

no offense to OP

Likkriueeee I missed you!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Care