Is this a good study plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

G1SG2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was originally registered for the June 18th MCAT, but postponed to July 30th because I didn't feel like I was ready. I plan on taking the rest of my TPR exams (3 left), the 10 Gold Standard Exams, and AAMC 6-10 towards the end. I also plan on doing some more content review of my weak areas using my TPR hyperlearning material, and of course practice passages that I have (from TPR science workbook, TPR Online passages,EK in-class exams, Nova's Physics passages, etc).

However, as many people have said that the Gold Standard VR sections are not very representative of the real thing/are a bit easy, I was thinking I would just replace that section with a test from TBR VR workbook (I only have a few EK 101 tests left)-what do you guys think? Is that a good idea? Any feedback would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

you have a month and some change left. you need to be SURE to do all of the AAMC exams and go over them thoroughly. That means go one by one on each answer choices. You need to see if the choice was the correct answer and whether you picked it for the right reasons. For the wrong answer choices, you need to see whether you had to right reasons for crossing them out as well. This is very high yield (because of the structure of the AAMC exams) and if you supplement it with q-banks from TPR or whatever, it should lead to an improvement in your MCAT score. TPR tests are ok at best, and I don't know about GS.

how are you doing on your EK101 passages?

you have a month and some change left. you need to be SURE to do all of the AAMC exams and go over them thoroughly. That means go one by one on each answer choices. You need to see if the choice was the correct answer and whether you picked it for the right reasons. For the wrong answer choices, you need to see whether you had to right reasons for crossing them out as well. This is very high yield (because of the structure of the AAMC exams) and if you supplement it with q-banks from TPR or whatever, it should lead to an improvement in your MCAT score. TPR tests are ok at best, and I don't know about GS.

how are you doing on your EK101 passages?
Okay, got it. Eh, I started off with mostly 9's in EK 101 and scored a 10 once as well, but after going through half of the book, my scores started to go down for some reason (I started getting 8's and got two 7's :eek: and of course some 9's). I don't know what happened, do those exams get really tricky near the end or something or did something else happen with me? I find some of their answer choices to be very much disputable.

I scored a 28 on AAMC 5 (10, 8, 10)-thought I totally bombed the verbal with a 6 or something but turns out I didn't do as bad as I thought. I think I could've done better if I hadn't lost my spirit after the first passage and thought "okay, whatever, I bombed this".

I plan on taking AAMC 6-10 along with passages from the official guide two weeks prior to my MCAT (with a day to review between each exam).

Okay, got it. Eh, I started off with mostly 9's in EK 101 and scored a 10 once as well, but after going through half of the book, my scores started to go down for some reason (I started getting 8's and got two 7's :eek: and of course some 9's). I don't know what happened, do those exams get really tricky near the end or something or did something else happen with me? I find some of their answer choices to be very much disputable.

I scored a 28 on AAMC 5 (10, 8, 10)-thought I totally bombed the verbal with a 6 or something but turns out I didn't do as bad as I thought. I think I could've done better if I hadn't lost my spirit after the first passage and thought "okay, whatever, I bombed this".

I plan on taking AAMC 6-10 along with passages from the official guide two weeks prior to my MCAT (with a day to review between each exam).

KEEP DOING CONTENT REVIEW!!!

Don't just take tests...thats great to do but still do content review every single day. People on here may say otherwise but I find it helps a ton....

Even after your initial content review its helpful to go over it over and over again for me at least.

Members don't see this ad :)
KEEP DOING CONTENT REVIEW!!!

Don't just take tests...thats great to do but still do content review every single day. People on here may say otherwise but I find it helps a ton....

Even after your initial content review its helpful to go over it over and over again for me at least.

Thanks, I totally agree with you. I plan on thoroughly reading my hyperlearning books, even though I have already used TBR and EK. I figure it won't hurt, and I have plenty of time.

do you re-read the passages for VR when you go over the answers. You want to get the main idea and hold back on referring back to the passage as much as possible to save time.

agreed about content and exam review side by side

do you re-read the passages for VR when you go over the answers. You want to get the main idea and hold back on referring back to the passage as much as possible to save time.

agreed about content and exam review side by side
I review all of my questions, even the right ones. But, I only re-read the pertinent parts of the passage. Sometimes I make silly mistakes and have those "ohhhh, duh!" moments, where I'll miss an important word or two that prevented me from recognizing the correct answer. I figure I need to read more actively. However, when I read some of the EK explanations for their correct answer choice, I'm just like "what the heck? I don't agree". lol

I read pretty fast. I just read very quickly and try to read actively, and then answer the questions under 8 minutes. Any remaining time is used to double check answers. However, most of the time, I'll be getting like 5/6 or 4/6 or even 5/5s and 6/6s on passages, and then fail epically on one or two passages with a 3/6 or 2/5, which totally screws up my score.

I review all of my questions, even the right ones. But, I only re-read the pertinent parts of the passage. Sometimes I make silly mistakes and have those "ohhhh, duh!" moments, where I'll miss an important word or two that prevented me from recognizing the correct answer. I figure I need to read more actively. However, when I read some of the EK explanations for their correct answer choice, I'm just like "what the heck? I don't agree". lol

I read pretty fast. I just read very quickly and try to read actively, and then answer the questions under 8 minutes. Any remaining time is used to double check answers. However, most of the time, I'll be getting like 5/6 or 4/6 or even 5/5s and 6/6s on passages, and then fail epically on one or two passages with a 3/6 or 2/5, which totally screws up my score.

Some passages, I read once and can answer the questions like 20 secs each and get them all.

Other ones...I don't get them and end up getting so flustered.
I believe my last verbal exam I was like 6/6, 6/6, 6/7, then hit a bad passage and got like 2/6....etc.

A BIG part is focus and keeping your mind alert...if I waver off I crash and burn...

Some passages, I read once and can answer the questions like 20 secs each and get them all.

Other ones...I don't get them and end up getting so flustered.
I believe my last verbal exam I was like 6/6, 6/6, 6/7, then hit a bad passage and got like 2/6....etc.

A BIG part is focus and keeping your mind alert...if I waver off I crash and burn...

Yeah, I need to be more alert/focused I guess. I also get distracted, like I said, by the damn ice cream truck music and sirens outside my apartment and the pigeons fighting on my air conditioner :laugh:

What do you guys think of replacing the Gold Standard VR section of the exams with TBR VR tests?