Is this a good way to raise a GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miketheghost19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated from a top 20 undergrad with a 3.47 cGPA and 3.4 sGPA. I have taken all the pre-reqs as well as some additional upper level science classes. I want to boost my GPA up a little bit to become more competitive. Would it be alright to take a few upper level science courses at a community college? I would take 15 credits for the semester so I would still be taking a full course load. Any advice would be really appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Just to add, I have only taken college level courses at the university I just graduated from.

There are some schools that seem to look down on CC coursework, but over all, it's really an urban legend amongst pre-meds that CC courses are bad and you won't get into med school with them. Such coursework can be as rigorous as any 4 year college.

Showing that you're taking a full course load and doing well will look fine.

As always, whenever in doubt, ask some Admissions Deans their opinion. Good luck!

I just graduated from a top 20 undergrad with a 3.47 cGPA and 3.4 sGPA. I have taken all the pre-reqs as well as some additional upper level science classes. I want to boost my GPA up a little bit to become more competitive. Would it be alright to take a few upper level science courses at a community college? I would take 15 credits for the semester so I would still be taking a full course load. Any advice would be really appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I might take microbiology, bioethics, human anatomy and function, and some humanitites. Would this be a good schedule of classes?

I think it depends on where you plan on applying, as I know there are some schools that 'look down' on CC classes. There are also many that don't really care where you take your classes. So look into the schools you're interested in.

As for your schedule, yeah those classes sound great. Just make sure to get good grades. Good luck!

So going to community college won't seem like the easy way out? It's like like one-seventh the price of my undergrad and i can live with my parents to save money on rent. Plus I will most likely get better grades at a CC.

So going to community college won't seem like the easy way out? It's like like one-seventh the price of my undergrad and i can live with my parents to save money on rent. Plus I will most likely get better grades at a CC.

Well it depends on where you're applying as someone said. Any specific schools?

Its just kind of weird to take CC classes AFTER not doing too hotly at a 4 year.

Before hand? No problem, afterwards it looks like the 4 year was too hard and you went to an easier isntituion

A 3.47 isn't bad. It's just staunchly in the middle, perhaps a little below average. But it's not terrible or anything.

I'm not sure if you need to take classes anyway. What's your MCAT? If it's really solid, and you got a few interesting ECs, you may not need to take any more classes.

If you're going to do the same course load, you'd come out with about a 3.58 if you aced the year. Just letting you know.

Good luck regardless.

A 3.47 isn't bad. It's just staunchly in the middle, perhaps a little below average. But it's not terrible or anything.

I'm not sure if you need to take classes anyway. What's your MCAT? If it's really solid, and you got a few interesting ECs, you may not need to take any more classes.

If you're going to do the same course load, you'd come out with about a 3.58 if you aced the year. Just letting you know.

Good luck regardless.

I just applied for this cycle. I wanna get my GPA up in case I have to reapply. My MCAT was a 28 (9ps 9vr 10bs).

Its just kind of weird to take CC classes AFTER not doing too hotly at a 4 year.

Before hand? No problem, afterwards it looks like the 4 year was too hard and you went to an easier isntituion

Would it be a better idea for the fall semester to take science classes at a university and the non-science classes at a CC?

Would I be better served getting a job/volunteering more instead?

Yes, get a job or volunteer in a medical-related area. That will give you good, practical experience, which is highl valued. Did you take your MCAT? Happy with results? If all you worried about is your 3.4 gpa, don't make that the tail wagging the dog. It won't technically change your GPA anyway. If you are totally unsuccessful getting into med school, you'd go for a post-bac.