is this a realistic way to retain info for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

portlandpixie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been thinking about ways to help myself do well on the MCATs. I'm currently a freshman in college. I've only taken general chemistry. Like a lot of people, I have problems retaining the information I've learned after the final. For example, I can barely even remember what I learned fall term of this year in chemistry. I guess that doesn't necessarily mean I wouldn't be able to do problems that pertained to Fall term gen chem if given a test but I think you get the point: my brain is like a leaky faucet. I don't want to forget what I've tried so hard to learn but it just naturally happens when it's not being used. So, do you think it would be a good idea for me to buy an MCAT book and do a couple question pertaining to general chemistry each day? I think it would most definitely help me keep my knowledge of chemistry in check but is it realistic? I would do this for all the other science classes I'm going to take in the future. I just figure that instead of having to cram, cram, cram and relearn everything in three years when I take the MCATs, I can do it over a long period of time. That's not to say I wouldn't study before my MCATs but it would just make studying a little easier. Also, does it matter if I get an MCAT book from 2007 instead of 2010 in terms of the questions asked?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I have been thinking about ways to help myself do well on the MCATs. I'm currently a freshman in college. I've only taken general chemistry. Like a lot of people, I have problems retaining the information I've learned after the final. For example, I can barely even remember what I learned fall term of this year in chemistry. I guess that doesn't necessarily mean I wouldn't be able to do problems that pertained to Fall term gen chem if given a test but I think you get the point: my brain is like a leaky faucet. I don't want to forget what I've tried so hard to learn but it just naturally happens when it's not being used. So, do you think it would be a good idea for me to buy an MCAT book and do a couple question pertaining to general chemistry each day? I think it would most definitely help me keep my knowledge of chemistry in check but is it realistic? I would do this for all the other science classes I'm going to take in the future. I just figure that instead of having to cram, cram, cram and relearn everything in three years when I take the MCATs, I can do it over a long period of time. That's not to say I wouldn't study before my MCATs but it would just make studying a little easier. Also, does it matter if I get an MCAT book from 2007 instead of 2010 in terms of the questions asked?

please relax and go enjoy your freshmen year. you'll miss it, if it hasnt already passed you by.

Hi,

no. Just give yourself 3 full months and work hard.

Are you understanding the concepts deeply? If you learn things really well conceptually there is really a lot less memorizing going on.

But still, you would never be able to upkeep all the material (or very unlikely will be able to), anyway, it wouldn't be effective. Study like your life depends on it the 8-12 weeks preceding the test. Just learn the stuff well now. Buying EK and taking notes for 1 week after each semester wouldn't be bad, then you have a brief overview and minimal time spent on it.

95% of your success will be in the weeks before the test if you learn well the first time through.