Is this a reasonable answer for why MD and NOT MD/PhD?

Mar 1, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hi, in my ps I talk a lot about how I initially got interested in medicine through research. Also a decent amount of my activities (like 1/3rd) fall under research. All the research is clinical though with patients. So I'm afraid I'll be asked why NOT MD/pHD?

My reasoning for why not MD/PhD over MD is that while I am interested in clinical research, most MD/PhDs spend 50% of their time (or greater, some on here say 80-90%) of their time doing research. While I would want to spend the majority of my time doing clinical and maybe 10-30% of it doing research. Is that a fair answer? And are my assumptions about MD/pHD even correct?

Seihai

The dog is always the real hero.
2+ Year Member
May 24, 2017
Yes, most MD-PhDs will spend the vast majority of their time pursuing research. In my experiences, I've met MD applicants with lots of research and they're generally not really asked about why they didn't choose to pursue an MD-PhD, but I think just saying you want to focus on clinical work and would be interested in contributing to research (but not necessarily running your own lab or dedicating the majority of your time to it) will be sufficient.

Reactions: 1 users
D

deleted688779

My PI said: MD-PhD isn’t an MD with a side of better research skills. MD-PhD is a PhD with a side of MD.

• Love
About the Ads

M&L

Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hi, in my ps I talk a lot about how I initially got interested in medicine through research. Also a decent amount of my activities (like 1/3rd) fall under research. All the research is clinical though with patients. So I'm afraid I'll be asked why NOT MD/pHD?

My reasoning for why not MD/PhD over MD is that while I am interested in clinical research, most MD/PhDs spend 50% of their time (or greater, some on here say 80-90%) of their time doing research. While I would want to spend the majority of my time doing clinical and maybe 10-30% of it doing research. Is that a fair answer? And are my assumptions about MD/pHD even correct?
that is a GREAT answer. Your primary focus is to take care of patients, and you want to use research as an additional tool to advance your field and to give your patients the better care they deserve.

HouseJC

If nobody hates you, you're doing something wrong
Mar 22, 2019
Toronto
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
Yes, I agree with your answer! That is what I wrote in my PS for my current journey as a MD applicant (and I'm currently a PhD student). It was a challenge to switch gears in my PS to explain the transition from research to patient care, but my PS content is pretty much identical to yours :) Glad to see that and good luck to you in your journey!

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student

You're more likely to be asked "why not PhD"?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads