Is this along the lines of a realistic question, has anyone seen anything this time consuming?

Oct 11, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
So I just started practicing the PAT portion of the DAT and I decided to go with DAT Bootcamp. I am wondering how similar these question types are to the real deal, I've attached a picture of one that I just did, but it takes a good min to see the pattern. I am starting to get the hang of things slowly but there are definitely certain question type that take me longer to figure out (cubes, and triangular prisms) because for some reason my brain just starts to picture the whole thing all at once.

If anyone has any advice on how do these with more speed, or if I should redirect my attention to a different resources (in the event that these ?s aren't very representative of the real DAT questions) please let me know!

-For the hole punching I found a guy on youtube who has an amazing strategy and I've got that down now.
-Angle ranking I usually get right unless it's a 3 angle difference and or they've got the images flipped upside down which just REALLY throws me off.
-TFE, I'm using the Kaplan edge/line counting strategy
-I haven't really delved into the key/hole just yet, but I imagine that just being practice
-Cube counting is pretty straightforward to me.

[More] strategies on Angle ranking, TFE, keyhole and the pattern folding would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Attachments

DreamingOfDentistry

2+ Year Member
May 19, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Ive had way crazier pattern folding on the real DAT than DAT bootcamps generators. Idk if you've taken any of the full length PAT tests on Bootcamp but those are the more challenging ones...
Also do not use the line counting method. The DAT has changed to where that is not an effective strategy.
Tic tac toe grid is effective for hole punching. Ari has a video on it as well. It also helps to create a grid for the cube counting as well to keep track of the numbers.

Reactions: Axiomatician
About the Ads

Charles_Darwin

2+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
I don't know how much time you have left but TFE is explained really well on DAT genius - bootcamp's TFE generators are too easy. And for pattern folding, my questions were pretty straightforward- kind of like the pattern folding on the bootcamp practice pat tests (not generators)

Axiomatician

2+ Year Member
May 13, 2016
Status
Dental Student
Practice. I made a 22 in PAT, but leading up to it was rough. Learn to time yourself. Practice more.

Reactions: LuckBloodandSweat

OnlyIfICouldTurnBackTime

2+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2015
Give yourself solid 60 minutes a day to practice each section of PAT. When you evetually get the hang of certain sections(hole punching, cube counting) , focus on more time consuming sections like angle and pattern folding.

I found pattern folding part to be the hardest as well, but the real one is 100 folds easier than the bc practice 6-10, and somewhat similar to test 1-5

The real PAT is graded easier.

If you are getting 18+, you should be able to pull off 20+ on real thing.

Keep practicing and don't let the practice scores discourage you.
My Bootcamp avg:

Test 1-5. 22
Test 6-10. 18

Real pat: 24

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

OP
C
Oct 11, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Holy crap. Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. AllStarz, like Dreaming said, I'm not sure what the strategy is called, but you make a grid 4x4 and follow the line at which the object folds from the image with the hole punch and follow it to the original paper, and create symmetrical holes on the other side of the fold every time. I'm terrible at explaining things but if you youtube "hole punching", the guy's name is Az, or something like that and he'll pop up as one of the first videos.

About the Ads