Is this an appropriate topic to write about in the adversity essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BubbleT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think there may be better topics, and hopefully you have multiple reasons/angles/experiences that drew you to medicine.

All of us have various personal medical experiences, and they all have a personal effect on us as individuals. That said, some may strike a committee as more meaningful than others.

On my side of things, I had a history of recurrent UTIs, yeast, and BV that took like 7 years to finally break the cycle. I also had a disadvantaged background and interesting life story. Guess which one I decided was more unique and compelling?

Reactions: 1 user
What is your adversity? How have you struggled in life? What was the greatest challenge you have overcome?

omg dude I forgot to use a condom and got herpes.

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
I think there may be better topics, and hopefully you have multiple reasons/angles/experiences that drew you to medicine.

All of us have various personal medical experiences, and they all have a personal effect on us as individuals. That said, some may strike a committee as more meaningful than others.

On my side of things, I had a history of recurrent UTIs, yeast, and BV that took like 7 years to finally break the cycle. I also had a disadvantaged background and interesting life story. Guess which one I decided was more unique and compelling?

Okay, got it. I wrote about my immigrant background and the language barrier and culture shock I grew up i

What is your adversity? How have you struggled in life? What was the greatest challenge you have overcome?

omg dude I forgot to use a condom and got herpes.

Haha, it was the fact that I used a condom and still got herpes for life. I wasn't educated on the oral transmission route.

Isn't HSV-1 super common? Like 2/3rds of population common?

I am unsure if this is an appropriate topic to write about for the adversity essay as STIs may make adcoms feel uncomfortable reading it/ discussing it in an interview. I don't have a problem talking about it if the topic does arise in an interview setting as I have disclosed this status to my friends/cousins/dates. I was thinking of using this example to demonstrate a time when I felt stigmatized because of a diagnosis but how I overcame it and used that experience to bring awareness to this health issue among young adults.

Idea
  • Contracted GHSV-1 (Herpes) at 20 due to a lack of knowledge (Inadequate sex ed class and conservative Asian parents)
  • Felt stigmatized and unlovable because of this label and the traditional Asian culture I grew up in
  • Sought therapy (maybe won’t mention therapy part due to mental health stigma?)
  • Overcame this by developing independent research study with sociology professor to understand the rise in STI rates among young adults due to the advent of dating apps. Surveyed young adults online about their sexual decision making, sexual history, and STI testing habits. Educated others and presented research findings at conferences.
Your judgement will be questioned, I fear, and I don't mean about your lack of precautions.

Reactions: 1 users
Isn't HSV-1 super common? Like 2/3rds of population common?

Yeah but it doesn’t always flair up so people don’t know if they have it. Also HSV-1 more commonly causes cold sores on and around the lips than genitals.

Status
Not open for further replies.