Is this an Extracurricular Activity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grivacobae

Whatascrub
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been reading SDN for some time now, and it has been a tremendous help, amazing.
I do have an unconventional question I haven't really encountered. I have read that with EC's, one should focus on what they really enjoy and can easily talk about during interviews. I really love the sciences and would love to get into research, as well as volunteering and such, but right now I have more a passion for something else. I will be taking on this "EC" and hopefully it can and will look good on my application, but if it doesn't, oh well :D, what do y'all think of this...?
The EC -I will pretty much open my own business, related to investing. For now it will be opened as a Fund, friends and family have offered to give me money so that I can invest, it's a little bit illegal to invest on others behalves I believe, so I'm taking the legal route and I'm making the fund for a track record. This will pretty much be my EC for a while since I really need to devote my time (free time aside from studies of course) and focus since I'm handling other peoples money, and mine too.
This is an EC activity I would believe, it definitely isn't related to Dental school, other than the fact the Dentist are half Dentist and half business owners (or so I've heard), so I am touching a little bit into my future.
What is your take on this EC? Will it do much or should I not even include it in my application once the time comes?
I am aware that volunteering and shadowing play a major role in acceptances and I do plan on having 100 hrs with both before applying.
Also, I have shadowing experience in Mexico, all my family is there and I shadow my Aunt when I go, probably around 50 hours now, is that valid? Or do I need it to be in the US? I'm guessing it can be but I also need US Dentist for an LOR? I don't really know.
Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Your venture is about as EC worthy as investing in a lemonade stand.

Nice! When life gives you lemons, make lemonade... and sell cuz you got lemons for free.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you are taking the legal route, I only see this as a major plus. However, I wouldn't consider it an EC as much as work experience. Either way, you show that you have an understanding of money and an interest in the business side of dentistry and you will stand out. As you mentioned, do make sure you shadow and add some volunteer work when you can.

As long as you are taking the legal route, I only see this as a major plus. However, I wouldn't consider it an EC as much as work experience. Either way, you show that you have an understanding of money and an interest in the business side of dentistry and you will stand out. As you mentioned, do make sure you shadow and add some volunteer work when you can.
It does make sense to put it as work experience, thank you for the response!

Ha ya you should try to sell your interviewers lemonade after the interview
Ha yea, then I'll tell them it's a ploy to get people to go to Dentist more often, including them haha

Ha yea, then I'll tell them it's a ploy to get people to go to Dentist more often, including them haha
Just a heads up: dentistry is all about prevention. I wouldn't even joke about that in an interview, it probably wouldn't be received very well.

And what you're talking about is work experience. An EC is something like playing intramural sports, being part of clubs or a frat, being part of a pre-dental society, VOLUNTEER work, etc