Jul 19, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I know that youre not supposed to address negatives in your application but for all the essays that ask about overcoming obstacles or personal adversity etc. would it be appropriate to talk about overcoming a misdemeanor conviction i had last year? Ive read through these threads before and everyone always says dont bring up negatives especially convictions on secondary essays but this was the most significant obstacle ive had to overcome.

Im not gonna talk about the details because i want to be somewhat anonymous here and my crime is something that is very unique and could easily be traced back to me. Long story short, going through the whole process after the incident and going to trial and everything was tough for me. i was depressed, kinda wondering if I should even stick to school let alone medicine, and i just hit rock bottom. i was determined to make some kind of positive out of it because that was my only chance to come back from it.

I set out to try as hard as i could in school, i stopped drinking(the incident was related to underage drinking), and went to counseling on my own for someone to talk to all while i had to drive back and forth 2 hours from school to go to court about once a month during the fall and miss class. eventually, i got the first 4.0 of my life in the fall and ended up with close to a 3.9 for the year, raising my gpa from a 3.6 to 3.7 in the process (i got a 32 on the mcat). I turned my life around and my friends were all really impressed that i decided to stop drinking at my school which has a very big party atmosphere.

Now the question is would i be able to get away with writing about this because it was definitely the hardest thing ive ever had to go through in my life or would it be bad that im trying to bring up a negative in my application?

Let me know what you guys think.

Jun 7, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
In my opinion, if you list a misdemeanor on AMCAS, its going to stand out plenty to admissions committees anyways, regardless if you bring it up. That being said, any chance you have to describe what happened and turn it into a positive, life changing experience could help, and the way you describe it seems to do so. but also, thats just my unqualified opinion, maybe wait for a med student on a committee to give their opinion.

copper coins

Coke
10+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I probably wouldn't either. But if you do it, definitely focus on the positive aspects of your growth and maturity, which prepare you to become a better physician, and minimize your fall in one powerful sentence at the beginning.