Is this bad form? ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whenpigsfly8

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wrote a letter of intent for my top choice school and got in, but I find that I may no longer be able to afford it, as my financial situation has changed due to some personal reasons. My state school is offering me a huge merit scholarship that would greatly alleviate my financial burden, but I wrote a letter of intent to my top choice and I'm afraid this will reflect badly on me if I decline their offer

Please don't flame me :( I really don't know what to do and I wish money grew on trees .... Please advise!! Should I call them and explain my situation? Is there a way to gracefully decline? Or should I tough it out, put myself into even greater debt and go to the school?

Members don't see this ad.

I wrote a letter of intent for my top choice school and got in, but I find that I may no longer be able to afford it, as my financial situation has changed due to some personal reasons. My state school is offering me a huge merit scholarship that would greatly alleviate my financial burden, but I wrote a letter of intent to my top choice and I'm afraid this will reflect badly on me if I decline their offer

Please don't flame me :( I really don't know what to do and I wish money grew on trees .... Please advise!! Should I call them and explain my situation? Is there a way to gracefully decline? Or should I tough it out, put myself into even greater debt and go to the school?
First, congrats on the scholarship and your acceptances! Go to the cheaper school if you want to. Don't worry about hurting a school's feelings, they'll get over it.

First of all, don't go into debt because of something this unimportant. It actually might be a good idea for you to let your top choice school about this issue. I know several people who were in a similar predicament that got either full scholarships or better financial aid packages when they told the school of their situation. There is no harm in it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea I would just tell the top choice school your situation

Go to the State School. Top Choice will understand that s--t happens. Got to go where the money is.

Perhaps you could write a letter to the Dean/office of admissions explaining your situation as carefully as possible. Better yet, call and explain in person. It'll be to your benefit to be as explicit as possible regarding your financial situation and whatever caused it to change, so they know you aren't BSing them.

Who knows, maybe they'll even try and match the offer?

Dude, tell 'em. I also know several people who were able to work out situations with schools because of their financial difficulties. They were probably doing the Dean though. Damnit.

Also, if you decline, it won't reflect badly on you. Maybe they'll want you back after you decline and give you mad money so you can come back to them -- but this depends on how badass your application was.

I say you talk to them. If it doesn't work out, STATE COLLEGE TIME. Gross, but you'll be able to pull through. <3

Definitely explain the situation to them. If they want you enough, they might send some aid your way.