Is this book legit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zeppelinpage4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
So our premedical adviser just emailed us a link to this book and I wanted to know if anyone had used it before and if it was helpful or not.
I always felt like an interview was about being yourself. So it seemed odd to have a book with instructions on what to do.
It is called "The Medical School Interview: Secrets and a System for Success".

http://askdrfleenor.com/booksdownlo...interview-secrets-and-a-system-for-success-2/

I heard the author writes for SDN, and it seems to have good reviews on Amazon.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys!
So our premedical adviser just emailed us a link to this book and I wanted to know if anyone had used it before and if it was helpful or not.
I always felt like an interview was about being yourself. So it seemed odd to have a book with instructions on what to do.
It is called "The Medical School Interview: Secrets and a System for Success".

http://askdrfleenor.com/booksdownlo...interview-secrets-and-a-system-for-success-2/

It looks enticing, but Dr. Iserson probably covers the topic in his book a lot better than most. I would just get a friend to get it for you as a gift.

I would see if it's available on inter-library loan.

Members don't see this ad :)
I read it before interviews. It's pretty good. Helped to focus on the essentials of what interviewers are looking for and plan out my responses. Got it pretty cheap on Amazon.

Idk about the legitimacy of the book but I think interviews are about more than just being yourself. I think in a lot of cases, especially with schools that interview a lot of applicants, you have to sell yourself and let them know why you're a good fit specifically for their school. If you end up getting the book let us know how it is! Good luck!

I read it before interviews. It's pretty good. Helped to focus on the essentials of what interviewers are looking for and plan out my responses. Got it pretty cheap on Amazon.

Do you mind telling us out of however many schools interviewed you, offered you acceptance?

Do you mind telling us out of however many schools interviewed you, offered you acceptance?

Went to two interviews out of nine invites, accepted at the first, liked the school more than the others, withdrew from everywhere else. So, yes, a small sample size--but if you're anything like me then reading a good book like this will help build confidence and focus going into such a high pressure thing as the interview. It's definitely a legit book.
From my experience, yes, above all be yourself, know why you are attracted to medicine, be able to describe your clinical experience and where you see yourself going in medicine--knowing that things will change and you may change your mind. Have some good questions for your interviewers. If you get their names ahead of time, then google them and find out what they've been up to, so that you can formulate a question that addresses their work. Bringing a smartphone helps in this case. My interviewers loved talking about their research and publications; one said she'd never had a question about her recent book before. The main thing is that in the interview focus on responding to the unstated question, "Are you one of us?" Can the interviewer see you as some day taking care of him or her? If you've gotten to the interview stage, then you're clearly good on paper; now is the time to shine in person. Showing that you have a grasp of where medicine is, that you have an idea of where it's going, and can speak to where you hope to fit into it will go a long way toward answering that essential question. Most of the questions you will be asked will address this, even if they don't come out and ask directly, which they probably won't. This is why "tell me about yourself" is the best opener you can hope for to cut to the chase and lay out a succinct answer right away.
Best wishes to the OP and everyone else going into the interview stage of the process!

Last edited:
I read this book last app cycle and thought it was pretty good. Its kinda short and the font size is relatively large, so you could probably read it in a day if you wanted to. It gives you a pretty flexible "formula" to work with with the idea being that no matter what type of interview question you encounter, you'll be able to guide your response into an experience or answer that you've already carefully reflected on. For the record, I had 6 interview invites, went to 3, and was accepted to 2 schools. The acceptances were from my first and third interviews. I turned down half my interviews because my first acceptance happened early in mid-October.

Like previous posters have stated, interviews are all about being yourself. The great thing about this book is that it doesn't neccesarily tell you what to say, but rather it teaches you how to better approach some of the most common interview questions based on your own unique experiences.

Buy the MSAR (Medical School Admission Requirements) published by the AAMC (American Association of Medical Colleges). https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/requirements/msar/

Best money you'll spend in this process. Then come back here, read the stickies, use the search function, and ask any unanswered questions after you've read the stickies and done a search.

If people did this, the pre-med SDN would be much less entertaining.

In all seriousness though, people should be required to read those 3 sentences before being allowed to post.