pillowsnice

2+ Year Member
May 25, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I volunteer in a hospital pushing around a cart full of activities for the patients. Is this considered clinical experience? Is it a worthwhile experience?

Jan 13, 2013
Status
LizzyM has a quote that runs something like.. "If you can smell the patients, it's a clinical experience".

As for being worthwhile, I would say yes to an extent. When you apply to medical school, you'll list the number of hours you pushed the cart. More hours translates to higher chance of interview. There may be better ways to spend your time, but there is at least value in that activity for you.

You can be the judge of whether the patients value your efforts.

Last edited:
Reactions: LizzyM

allantois

5+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2013
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Sounds better than cleaning hospital beds.

Spector1

Orbis non Sufficit
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
true, but try to get some meaningful interactions with patients if you can. more stuff to write about

OP
P

pillowsnice

2+ Year Member
May 25, 2015
Status
true, but try to get some meaningful interactions with patients if you can. more stuff to write about
Yes, I try to make conversation with the patient if they want. I don't just pop in and out of their rooms.

Spector1

Orbis non Sufficit
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Yes, I try to make conversation with the patient if they want. I don't just pop in and out of their rooms.
make sure you remember and write down those instances. When it comes time to write essays and give examples in interviews, its surprisingly hard to recall.

AlfonsTheGuru

Surgeons aren't what they used to be.
Removed
Account on Hold
2+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2015
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Yes, it is also a potentially meaningful experience. Do what you can now, be dedicated, and eventually move on to more prestigious volunteering activities such as what would be considered leadership roles.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
You are getting face time with the patients! You are getting to speak to them! With any luck, they are speaking back. (In my youth I read an entire hospital menu to a man who would not respond to my questions. Finally, a nursing sister took pity on me and explained that the man was aphasic (mute) due to a stroke. She also schooled me on what he could or couldn't swallow. Was a good lesson in humility for LizzyM.)

Just being on the floors will give you the opportunity to see things and hear things that will give you a sense of what goes on. This can be a very valuable lesson.

And it beats cleaning gurneys and other activities that don't involve face-time with patients.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
YES!!!

Volunteer clinical experience doesn't mean doing surgery.

I volunteer in a hospital pushing around a cart full of activities for the patients. Is this considered clinical experience? Is it a worthwhile experience?