1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

is this considered a career change?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by streetdoc, Oct 9, 2002.

1. streetdoc

streetdoc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    ok, on one of my secondaries it asks if my application represents a career change.
    my problem is this...i've been an EMT/Paramedic pretty much since i graduated college 2 years ago. i only tried the EMT thing to see if i liked medicine...i never considered it a career for me. i then got involved in the paramedic class and now 2 years have passed.
    Do i check the box as a career change? it's not like i'm going from business to medicine...
    any ideas are welcomed
    thanks,
    streetdoc
    PS-does working as a paramedic really give me a foot in the door? or do adcoms not really care?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would say no... I don't think it is a career change. Lots of pre-meds do the EMT route during pre-med years. It is a great way to see if you want to deal with patients and their problems.

If you had been doing it for more then 5 yearsw ithout going to school, then I would put it down as a career change.

They want people like me, who was a freelance photographer for years before I went back to school, to tell them why I all of a sudden decided to apply to med school.

Just my 2 cents:p