Is this considered a Publication?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcho91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so ive been working with this professor and engineer on a software (toolbox) that analyzes and averages ERP waves of the brain. I came onto the project late after another undergrad had done most of the testing, etc. However, I have been helping a lot with documentation, and the tutorial for the software. I just noticed that my name has been added as an author of the tutorial (my name as well the other undergrad, the professor, and engineer who wrote the script). What does this count as? Can I say that this is a "publication" or im not sure cuz im pretty new to all of this but what would this be cause it really isnt any research, its more of a toolbox for future research projects to come. Could you tell me what I could name this for my resume?

Members don't see this ad.

Not a publication unless that "tutorial" is published in a peer-reviewed journal

Is this copyrighted and sold publicly?

Many faculty members publish books and other products. If your product is mass produced and sold with your name on it, I would consider it a publication.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this copyrighted and sold publicly?

Many faculty members publish books and other products. If your product is mass produced and sold with your name on it, I would consider it a publication.

It isnt sold but distributed free due to a large grant. But over a thousand researchers use this nationwide. And it is a rather large tutorial 100+ pgs with various sample studies within the tutorial.

If I google scholar your name, will there be results?

If I google scholar your name, will there be results?

I highly doubt it. But I google scholared the grad student/engineer that im working with and even his name isnt in there, although our PI is forsure.

a lot of more practical-type work doesn't yield publications, the stuff i'm doing for my lab right now is more geared for writing a protocol rather than publishing anything. I'm kinda hoping to get a publication-focused project after that, but really either one is still very good

a lot of more practical-type work doesn't yield publications, the stuff i'm doing for my lab right now is more geared for writing a protocol rather than publishing anything. I'm kinda hoping to get a publication-focused project after that, but really either one is still very good

ya either way i still have a lot to talk about with this experience in my personal statment