Is this considered a science LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USFDB

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, at my university (and probably many others) we have a program where upperclassman who have gotten A's in General Chemistry 1 and 2 have the chance to help new Gen chem 1 and 2 students understand the concepts. I'm thinking about getting the coordinator as a LOR for when I apply next year since the Peer Leading class is a small size. This allows me to have more interaction with her and I think it would be a great letter since she see's how I work with others and also how I help the general chemistry students I peer lead.

The course is given under the chemistry department and that's the code that appears on the transcript and the title of the course is Peer Leading in Chemistry. So i'm just wondering if I can use this as a science LOR or if this would be considered a non-science LOR?

Thank you for answering!!

Members don't see this ad.

Science LORs come from science professors who have taught you in a class for credit at an accredited academic program you attended.

Reactions: 1 users
As Doug said, no. You have to get LORs from actual professors, not some random student who's a 20 year old junior.

Members don't see this ad :)
As Doug said, no. You have to get LORs from actual professors, not some random student who's a 20 year old junior.

The OP would be the twenty year old junior helping freshmen with general chemistry. What I gather is he or she is doing it for chemistry course credit under a chemistry faculty member. That could, potentially, be a science letter. Right?

Reactions: 1 user
Peer-leading class = Peer-leading LOR

The OP would be the twenty year old junior helping freshmen with general chemistry. What I gather is he or she is doing it for chemistry course credit under a chemistry faculty member. That could, potentially, be a science letter. Right?

Seconding this.

What is the official title of the Class, OP? That will probably be the determining factor. If it sounds sciency and its in the chemistry department you can probably get away with it.

Depends on what you're using it for. Med school apps in the future? I don't think you'll have much luck. If you're fairly early on in your college career and need a quick science LOR for some internal program you're applying to at your institution, then go ahead.

This is NOT a science LOR - sorry, she is a coordinator - not a professor or instructor for a science class that you are taking.

So, at my university (and probably many others) we have a program where upperclassman who have gotten A's in General Chemistry 1 and 2 have the chance to help new Gen chem 1 and 2 students understand the concepts. I'm thinking about getting the coordinator as a LOR for when I apply next year since the Peer Leading class is a small size. This allows me to have more interaction with her and I think it would be a great letter since she see's how I work with others and also how I help the general chemistry students I peer lead.

Thank you for answering!!