• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Is this considered clinical experience?

golgi body

MS1
2+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2017
  1. Pre-Medical
  2. Medical Student
    I volunteered with an organization that set up flu vaccine clinics in local public schools. I was responsible for setting up and running the clinics, and our university's nursing students administered the actual vaccines. Would this be considered clinical experience? Since we are giving flu shots in a clinic setting, I feel like this would be more clinical than volunteering in a nursing home, for example (which I have seen is sometimes deemed as clinical on these forums).

CyrilFiggis

EM resident
    7+ Year Member
    Nov 4, 2014
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      I view this more as community service with a medical lean. Even in nursing homes there is a level of clinical and diagnostic medicine in the continued care of patients. When comparing clinical experiences, don't use the lowest common denominator. Even if you did that for 4 years and had 1000 hours, that wouldn't pass muster when compared to an applicant with 200 hours of ED volunteering or 50 hours or primary care shadowing. Programs want to see that you have exposure to the day-to-day of a physician.

Reactions: 2 users

NickNaylor

Thank You for Smoking
      Volunteer Staff
      Lifetime Donor
      10+ Year Member
      Verified Expert
      May 22, 2008
      Deep in the heart of Texas
      1. Attending Physician
        Is it clinical experience in the strict sense of the term? Sure, I suppose so. But it’s probably not the kind of “clinical experience” admissions committees are looking for. The experience itself is likely still worth including on your application - particularly if it’s a longitudinal thing rather than a one-time experience - but I agree with the above and would consider more to be community service than clinical experience.

Reactions: 3 users
        About the Ads

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
        Verified Expert
        15+ Year Member
        Mar 7, 2005
        1. Academic Administration
          Call it volunteer, non-clincial or call it volunteer, clinical but be sure you have some more traditional health care delivery experiences on your application as this alone is not sufficient to demonstrate that you know what a physician's day is like or that you like taking care of sick/injured people.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
          Verified Expert
          15+ Year Member
          Sep 4, 2006
          The Other Side of the Portal
          1. Attending Physician
            I volunteered with an organization that set up flu vaccine clinics in local public schools. I was responsible for setting up and running the clinics, and our university's nursing students administered the actual vaccines. Would this be considered clinical experience? Since we are giving flu shots in a clinic setting, I feel like this would be more clinical than volunteering in a nursing home, for example (which I have seen is sometimes deemed as clinical on these forums).
            Patients in skilled-level nursing homes tend to have multiple medical diagnoses overseen by a physician. Giving flu shots to healthy folks to keep them well doesn't compare, to my mind.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
            10+ Year Member
            Verified Expert
            Jun 11, 2010
            Somewhere west of St. Louis
            1. Non-Student
              I view this more as community service with a medical lean. Even in nursing homes there is a level of clinical and diagnostic medicine in the continued care of patients. When comparing clinical experiences, don't use the lowest common denominator. Even if you did that for 4 years and had 1000 hours, that wouldn't pass muster when compared to an applicant with 200 hours of ED volunteering or 50 hours or primary care shadowing. Programs want to see that you have exposure to the day-to-day of a physician.
              I agree.

Reactions: 1 user

LizzyM

Verified Expert
              15+ Year Member
              Mar 7, 2005
                Patients in skilled-level nursing homes tend to have multiple medical diagnoses overseen by a physician.

The same could be said for many people in the check-out line at Walmart. Working as a cashier there is not a clinical experience.

If one is providing care that is dictated by doctor's orders (feeding a patient with swallowing difficulties who is on a pureed diet, or working as a patient care technician in a nursing home providing hands-on, intimate care) that could be called "clinical" but some of the services provided by volunteers in a nursing home, such as playing the piano or decorating the dining room, is not, in my mind, automatically a "clinical experience".

Reactions: 1 user

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
                Verified Expert
                15+ Year Member
                Sep 4, 2006
                The Other Side of the Portal
                1. Attending Physician
                  So you should be interacting with patients for it to be considered clinical? would you consider scribing a clinical experience? Scribes don’t interact with patients or give any direct care.
                  A scribe is providing a useful service in the context of a patient's current illness, even if direct communication isn't possible (ie, not allowed), similar to a surgical tech with an anesthetized patient, a physical therapy aide helping a PT or a hospice helper feeding a nonverbal stroke patient, etc. So I think most/ all would consider in-person scribing to be Clinical.

LizzyM

Verified Expert
                  15+ Year Member
                  Mar 7, 2005
                    So you should be interacting with patients for it to be considered clinical? would you consider scribing a clinical experience? Scribes don’t interact with patients or give any direct care.

That's why my sig line definition of clinical experience does not require touching patients but being in very close proximity to them. The person should be in the persona of a "patient" when they are in your proximity and not a customer or a parishioner or a student, etc.

CyrilFiggis

EM resident
                    7+ Year Member
                    Nov 4, 2014
                    1. Resident [Any Field]
                      Scribes don’t interact with patients or give any direct care.
                      The vast majority of volunteers don't provide direct care because you have no legal authority to do so. While a scribe may not touch or talk to a patient, they are taking part in numerous encounters, learning how to organize and take proper histories, and seeing the day to day schedule of the attending they work for. I said this initially, don't look for lowest denominator. I volunteered at two large academic hospitals and saw everything from thoracotomies to deliveries to TB pts. All of those informed my current path in med school as well as gave substantive anecdotes that were used throughout the application process - PS to secondaries to interviews. While I don't discredit your work, it is not true clinical exposure.

About the Ads
                      This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      7. This thread is locked.