Oct 1, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I've been working with a radiation doc the past couple months and always considered it shadowing, but I actually get a lot of hands on experience. For example, I will get to palpate tumors and lymph nodes, and perform oral exams. I would assist the doc as he was doing procedures and occasionally help patients as well (grabbing them tissues, helping them sign up for their vaccine, etc). So would this be considered "shadowing" or is it "clinical experience"?

Thanks for all your help.

Banco

5+ Year Member
May 28, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
It's both, but you can't call it volunteering, you can't call it a paid position, so you have to classify it as shadowing. You can then describe it in your application/talk about it during interviews (as it sounds like a very nice experience).

Reactions: 1 user

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
It is a clinical experince (see definition below) and I would classify it as "shadowing". It doesn't sound as if you are spending more than a few minutes out of each hour doing "volunteer service". Most of what you do palpating and so forth is for your benefit.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.