Is this course schedule sustainable ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalwhiz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Look at it from a pragmatic approach. If you haven't applied to dental school, I would suggest not taking a lot of courses that could tank your gpa. If you have already applied, just pass with a C or better, but this depends on the admission criteria/terms of acceptance (i.e do they want you to pass all your remaining classes, do they want you to maintain the GPA, get your degree, etc...) If they want you to maintain your GPA, just take easy underwater basketweaving classes. That courseload is easier than dental school, but I find that its easier to do well in dental school than in undergrad.

Look at it from a pragmatic approach. If you haven't applied to dental school, I would suggest not taking a lot of courses that could tank your gpa. If you have already applied, just pass with a C or better, but this depends on the admission criteria/terms of acceptance (i.e do they want you to pass all your remaining classes, do they want you to maintain the GPA, get your degree, etc...) If they want you to maintain your GPA, just take easy underwater basketweaving classes. That courseload is easier than dental school, but I find that its easier to do well in dental school than in undergrad.

Why did you find it easier to do well in dental school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why did you find it easier to do well in dental school?

I found it easier since a lot of the prereq courses overlap the dental school courses. It's like you are seeing them a second time. Also, dental school is way more focused, so everything meshes together and eventually forms one cohesive system of interconnected knowledge. At some point, your knowledgebase is sufficient that if you didn't know the answer to a question, you can probably deduce your way though it (unless it was pure memorization question), but you can still narrow it down.

Reactions: 1 user
To kind of piggyback off of what TabMan said I also think doing well in dental school is easier, BUT dental school itself is harder. The course load for dental school the first two years is probably close to double what it is in undergrad. Even though that sounds terrible and intimidating because undergrad is already hard, it really isn't as bad as it sounds because in dental school all you do is study, all your friends do is study, all anyone you know does is study pretty much... except when you're done with exams for a week and then everyone parties.
But in college it was difficult to have such a heavy courseload along with the other stresses that come with applying to DS while all your friends are out having fun on penny pitcher night on a Wednesday. Point is, the social aspect of college is what makes the courseload as difficult as it is in college. I remember studying a lot in undergrad but I always had time to enjoy myself on weekends. That really isn't always the case sometimes in dental school. My first year spring, I went 12 straight weeks without ever going out on a weekend just because we had so many exams, but it wasn't that bad because all my friends in dental school were experiencing he same thing so there wasn't any FOMO. Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I had a similar course load for my last two semesters of UG. I ended up having an exam every week once things picked up, which is how it is at my dental school. It wasn't too difficult, just make sure you manage your time wisely and you will get the grades you want.

I had a similar course load for my last two semesters of UG. I ended up having an exam every week once things picked up, which is how it is at my dental school. It wasn't too difficult, just make sure you manage your time wisely and you will get the grades you want.

You only have one exam a week in dental school? Holy crap, that would be awesome.

You only have one exam a week in dental school? Holy crap, that would be awesome.

That's how it was my first year spring, that one that was really difficult for me. One exam, sometimes two, on Monday or Tuesday. Then we had practicals or projects due later in the week. Once we finished those we went right back to studying for the weekend for the exams.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks! Looks like ill be keeping this schedule, should be a good precursor to dental school