Is this downward trend in grades lethal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FormerITGuy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Freshman: 3.32
Sophomore: 3.24
Junior: 3.16
Senior: 2.97
Postbac: 3.65

Overall Science: 3.57

Overall: 3.28

Notice the downward trend. (Even my postbac had a mini downward trend, as I regressed from a 4.0 to a 3.65 towards the end of my postbac.) I have nothing to explain away this downward trend, except as a major character flaw where I would start strong and then lose motivation. Would this be lethal to my medical school chances?

I double majored in Economics and Computer science from a top 30 undergrad, if that matters.

I would say I'm average in all other aspects, (EC's and work experience).

To what degree would a good mcat (high 30's) mask this defect? (I'm consistently getting mid to high 30's on my practice exams.) Would I just be considered another smart person who didn't apply himself?

I also took two years off to explore another career after I finished my postbac. I am now getting back the itch to apply to medical school.

Please be blunt. :)

Members don't see this ad.

i think it's good that your BCPM is higher than your overall GPA, it shows that you're strong in the sciences. Your BCPM is also about average for US allo schools...but your overall GPA isn't good. And no one likes a downward trend. If you can't come up with anything better than a "major character flaw," which medical schools will hone in on like a police dog on "bring your hash to school day," you're sunk. You have to prove to them that you USED to have this flaw, but you've overcome it. If you've already finished a post-bacc...this is where i step down, i have absolutely no idea what to tell you to do from here.

Well, the low overall GPA will hurt you more than the downward trend. A high 30s MCAT will help (it always does) but I think in most cases when there is a major discrepancy, admissions people will tend to err on the side of caution.

Also, I know you probably already know this but I would highly recommend against explaining your trend as being due to you losing interest. If you have a history of this (as in your undergrad and in postbacc) and you also pursued a career and then "lost interest" (as an adcom might see it), they might wonder how long your interest in medicine can possibly last.

THAT SAID, if you apply broadly you still have a chance, especially if your MCAT is high. And the whole secondary career thing might look good too if it contributed to your growth as an individual, etc. Good luck!

Notice the downward trend. (Even my postbac had a mini downward trend, as I regressed from a 4.0 to a 3.65 towards the end of my postbac.) I have nothing to explain away this downward trend, except as a major character flaw where I would start strong and then lose motivation. Would this be lethal to my medical school chances?

I double majored in Economics and Computer science from a top 30 undergrad, if that matters.

To what degree would a good mcat (high 30's) mask this defect? (I'm consistently getting mid to high 30's on my practice exams.) Would I just be considered another smart person who didn't apply himself?

I also took two years off to explore another career after I finished my postbac. I am now getting back the itch to apply to medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, the low overall GPA will hurt you more than the downward trend. A high 30s MCAT will help (it always does) but I think in most cases when there is a major discrepancy, admissions people will tend to err on the side of caution.

Also, I know you probably already know this but I would highly recommend against explaining your trend as being due to you losing interest. If you have a history of this (as in your undergrad and in postbacc) and you also pursued a career and then "lost interest" (as an adcom might see it), they might wonder how long your interest in medicine can possibly last.

THAT SAID, if you apply broadly you still have a chance, especially if your MCAT is high. And the whole secondary career thing might look good too if it contributed to your growth as an individual, etc. Good luck!

...his is better than mine.

you could also argue that classes became more difficult later in your education.

Honestly, that's the worst thing you could say. I don't think there's a single person that wouldn't say med school > college in terms of difficulty. The last thing you need them to think is that you'll fall apart in med school because it really is very tough compared to college.

Honestly, that's the worst thing you could say. I don't think there's a single person that wouldn't say med school > college in terms of difficulty. The last thing you need them to think is that you'll fall apart in med school because it really is very tough compared to college.
yeah, I was just thinking of a solution.

I mean you could argue that difficult engineering classes would get you a bad grade, but that doesn't mean your bad grade isn't still extremely good given the class.

I dunno, just thinking.

Another thing i really think you should look into is WHY you do this. If you start out strong and then get bored...it's gonna REALLY suck to go into huge debt and not finish med school.

i sound like a total bitch. So, since i have breasts, i'm going to press them against you in a hugging type fashion, hoping that makes up for it :thumbup:
And if you're actually FormerITGirl...i'm sorry this is so awkward :)

man, the mere mention of breasts completely eliminates any negative feelings about the mean comment.

-_-

Resist the urge man! Resist!

man, the mere mention of breasts completely eliminates any negative feelings about the mean comment.

that's what i'm hoping for ;)

Was i really mean? i was just hoping to make SURE no one thought i was being deliberately snarky, but if i actually came off that way...do you need two hugs? And a cookie? ...and a kitten? With a bow?

Damn :(

Was i really mean? i was just hoping to make SURE no one thought i was being deliberately snarky, but if i actually came off that way...do you need two hugs? And a cookie? ...and a kitten? With a bow?

Instead, now you have armybound....

anyway.. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)

He did mention in his post to be blunt....

He did mention in his post to be blunt....

But...i'm not blunt! Not yet! i'm the girl with the cookies.

Also...every time i see your avatar i want to give you a hug. It's just so pitiful :laugh:

But...i'm not blunt! Not yet! i'm the girl with the cookies.

Also...every time i see your avatar i want to give you a hug. It's just so pitiful :laugh:

Aw thanks...I should send it in with my applications...maybe I'll get more love! :)

now that's thinkin ;)
i'd let you in

Another thing i really think you should look into is WHY you do this. If you start out strong and then get bored...it's gonna REALLY suck to go into huge debt and not finish med school.

i sound like a total bitch. So, since i have breasts, i'm going to press them against you in a hugging type fashion, hoping that makes up for it :thumbup:
And if you're actually FormerITGirl...i'm sorry this is so awkward :)

Hmm. I probably do need to think about why this is happening. Thanks for the advice... and the hug. :)

Wow, this is a toughie. So you guys don't think a decent MCAT, kick-a$$ letters, kick-a$$ EC's, and kick-a$$ personal statement+secondaries will change anything?

How gloomy applying to schools looks:cool:

Lethal? No.
Probably requiring you to invest in sunscreen if you attend the only schools that will take you? Yes.

Lethal? No.
Probably requiring you to invest in sunscreen if you attend the only schools that will take you? Yes.

Heyyy, ass. You should wear more sunscreen!!

;)

Hmm. I probably do need to think about why this is happening. Thanks for the advice... and the hug. :)

i gave you a cookie AND a kitten?? With a bow?? And all i get thanked for is the hug?!
you just want my boobilage :p

i know you've only posted 5 times, but i'm going to assume that you're a decent human being because today is "sunny disposition day." i'd just really hate to see you do all this work and end up bailing inside a couple years. Your loan companies aren't going to care that you're not ACTUALLY a doctor, they're still going to want their money back :(