Is this enough of an upward trend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted36260

?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
great job.

but you already know the answer to your question man.
how would it be possible to have MORE of an upward trend?

Robizzle said:
great job.

but you already know the answer to your question man.
how would it be possible to have MORE of an upward trend?

I know they look good, but if I drop down a notch (let's be honest, I don't see myself holding a 4.0 forever through school - well, maybe ;) ) or even to a 3.5 for a semester or two, then I kind of end up with a bell curve. Then what?

IF nothing else, I feel like I am doing a good job. The pre-med program at my school is, despite all of it's talk, very limited. This site is about the only place I can get honest advice, or even validation to what I am thinking :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks great. What is your overall Sci GPA and All Other GPA now?

jackieMD2007 said:
Looks great. What is your overall Sci GPA and All Other GPA now?

Unofficial transcript says 3.8x on both (system is under maintenance right now, so I don't know the X), however, this is not counting my first semester of F's.
My school does grade replacement where the first grade is no longer counted. When the system comes back up, I'll have to figure my AMCAS GPA, but I'm not sure how much that is going to drop me.

Even if your school does grade replacement, does the grade remain on your OFFICIAL transcript? This would be worth finding out. If the "F" is taken off of your OFFICIAL transcript, forever, then AMCAS won't count it. They can't count something that isn't there. If the "F"s stay, but your school just doesn't factor it into your GPA, you're screwed. AMCAS will want you to count it.

jackieMD2007 said:
Even if your school does grade replacement, does the grade remain on your OFFICIAL transcript? This would be worth finding out. If the "F" is taken off of your OFFICIAL transcript, forever, then AMCAS won't count it. They can't count something that isn't there. If the "F"s stay, but your school just doesn't factor it into your GPA, you're screwed. AMCAS will want you to count it.

Nope, they stay, unfortunately. I know I have to count it. I just haven't figured the total GPA yet. This whole thing has be so damn nervous that I'm busting my ass, AMCAS is going to bump my whole GPA down and then I'm not going to get in! How's THAT for interenet pre-med dramatizing?? But it's true :(

You need to take a HUGE deep breath.
And keep your grades up.
Get some good EC's going.
Do the best you can on the MCAT.
Plenty have gotten in after a bad semester or quarter.
Take classes that AMCAS will count towards BCPM and do well in them (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math), even if you have to take them at a community college during the summer or whatever. What courses are the F's in?

jackieMD2007 said:

what's nice is that expensive private schools tend to erase the grades and state schools tend not to. it helps keep the riff-raff out of med school....

and to the OP: I'm in a similar situation but got my stopped going F's in GRAD school (recent). :luck: to both of us, but you look good to me. 2F's and C won't hurt your GPA all that much. I'd say you're good to go :thumbup:

phatmonky said:
I posted in the past, near the (re)start of my college
I feel like I've done enough to keep myself from being knocked out of the running from a bad semester that, in my mind, is so long ago. I'm hoping that I can use this in my personal statement about finding myself and my goals, etc.

Thoughts? :)

EDIT - also, I go to a small no name school, and while I realize that doesn't REALLY matter, it may compound the issue a bit more.

Phat, I was in a similar situation - and from my perspective, looks like you've done the exactly right thing(s) and will be fine! In my case, I had a semester of Fs, from a college I attended in the 80s...I had simply stopped going to class and didn't drop (ah the insanity of youth!). I had originally considered not even submitting that particular transcript to AMCAS, but my advisor let me know that if it ever came up later, I would be un-accepted and banned. So, with great trepidation, I submitted ALL my transcripts to ACMAS, and WOW! they totally disregarded the Fs for my gpa. I was amazed. Now to be fair, I had indeed repeated all those courses, but still, I was pleasantly surprised how it turned out.

So keep walking, do well (and don't stress over keeping a 4.0 - adcoms actually often prefer more 'human' applicants who have a couple of lurking imperfections!), and knock out the MCAT. We'll be seeing an acceptance to med school on here one of these days :luck: !