Is this enough research for competitive specialties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Striatum14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
At the end of this summer (rising M2) I will have 2 pubs (1 first author), a case report, and a presentation. I am also planning to present my research at a poster session in the fall. Taken together, is this enough research for something like top academic IM? Or will I need to do more research in the coming years? Given step 1 might be retroactively changed to P/F I am a little nervous about standing out in residency apps since I go to a low tier MD.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

It’s a very good start.. just keep it up. The production is good but you want to maintain it throughout Med school. Pick up a couple more projects during third year and try to get some things complete during the year and you’ll be in good shape research wise

If you went to a top school, 2 pubs and a couple presentations would be enough to go to a top 20 IM program no problem. At a low tier school I think you’ll probably need a few more projects to break in unless you have some other part of your app that is extra ordinary (started a nonprofit, advisor to the governor on health policy, etc). Obviously will still need great letters, grades, etc too.

The disparity in what is required of you come from a high vs low tier school is sad, but it is what it is.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Top IM heavily weights high Step 1 and AOA. For research, produce more first author papers and be able to talk in depth about them and what kind of research you will pursue in the future.

At the end of this summer (rising M2) I will have 2 pubs (1 first author), a case report, and a presentation. I am also planning to present my research at a poster session in the fall. Taken together, is this enough research for something like top academic IM? Or will I need to do more research in the coming years? Given step 1 might be retroactively changed to P/F I am a little nervous about standing out in residency apps since I go to a low tier MD.

Thanks in advance.
That's great research production, OP! Can you share how you got so much done during M1? How did you find your opportunities, and how did you balance research and school work?

Thanks in advance.

It's fine but clinical research isn't as big a factor for top IM as compared to competitive fields like dermatology, surgical specialties, coming from someone who applied IM with a very strong clinical research CV (the exception being the PSTP tracks for basic sci researchers, PhDs). Focus on getting AOA and honoring M3 rotations.

I am a non-US caribbean IMG, published 2 case reports on online journals in India, is this good? I know it's not US research but does it any weight at all? Applying IM next year

It's fine but clinical research isn't as big a factor for top IM as compared to competitive fields like dermatology, surgical specialties, coming from someone who applied IM with a very strong clinical research CV (the exception being the PSTP tracks for basic sci researchers, PhDs). Focus on getting AOA and honoring M3 rotations.

That's interesting, good to know. Are you saying top IM values other (ie. bench) research over clincal or it's just not as big a factor for them as AOA, rotation grades, etc.

That's great research production, OP! Can you share how you got so much done during M1? How did you find your opportunities, and how did you balance research and school work?

Sorry for the late reply; feel free to DM me.

That's interesting, good to know. Are you saying top IM values other (ie. bench) research over clincal or it's just not as big a factor for them as AOA, rotation grades, etc.

Research isn't as big a factor, but still helps. The PSTP tracks will value research highly, but those are very specialized tracks oriented towards basic science careers.

Research isn't as big a factor, but still helps. The PSTP tracks will value research highly, but those are very specialized tracks oriented towards basic science careers.

Ah gotcha, thanks for the info!