Is this enough time to study for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CryMeRiver

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm going to try to remain anonymous, so sorry if the information given is a little vague. Basically, I only have 1-2 hrs/day September - mid-December and all day, everyday from post-finals in December to mid-March to study for the MCAT. I would prefer to take the January test, but I don't think I will be prepared for it. Also, I could take the exam at home in January, or in London in April after one week of being abroad.

Is this enough time? When should I take the exam?

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need anyone to tell you that the MCAT is an important exam. It is a wise move to take it when you're absolutely prepared and in the best possible conditions.

3-4 months of dedicated study time is what is typically recommended. Ideally, you wouldn't be prepping during the academic year, but since it appears that you are, there are many study schedules and recommendations available here for you to consult.

You should absolutely look at MCAT Discussions for more information. Good luck!

You need to develop a regular sleep schedule for the MCAT. This exam is 7-8 hrs long. I don't suggest you take it while you're abroad.

Members don't see this ad :)
2-3 months, 3-4 focused hours/day if you have a solid foundation, 3-4 months, 3-4 focused hours/day if you don't.

Ultimately, you're the only one who knows how much time you'll need to get ready for the exam. The best time to take it is when you are ready. I think that taking it in January is definitely doable. The key is to make sure that when you are studying, you are efficient and focused.

I don't recommend taking it in London. You'll probably still be adjusting to the time change not to mention the fact that you're in a foreign country. At least for me, I know that I would not want these added stressors on top of the exam itself.