1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Is this enough time to study?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Dr. Josh, Apr 20, 2007.

?

When should I take the MCAT

Poll closed May 10, 2007.
  1. Sept 7th or 8th and study fulltime for a month

27 vote(s)
    73.0%
  2. January test and study a bit at night after working fulltime

10 vote(s)
    27.0%
  1. Dr. Josh

Dr. Josh Guest

Pre-Medical
    I graduate in May and then am going directly to summer school to complete pre-reqs (two seemsters of orgo:scared: ) I finish orgo 2 in summer school in early Aug. If I take the MCAT on Sept 8th, will that be enough time to study? I'm torn. I want to get a job but am concerned if i work fulltime I won't have enough time (or energy) to study especially if i commute a distance. But I'm also concerned a month won't be enough time even if I do nothing else. I will NOT have time to do any preparation for it before Aug 3rd. However I'd love to get it over with. What do you think?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SpartanBlueJay2

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    At the end of your orgo course, take a full-length practice MCAT to see where you stand. If your score is decent, studying full-time for a month should be fine. If you're not happy with it, wait for the January test. If I had the option, I'd do the full-time for a month, because I've been studying part-time for 3 months now and I'm so sick of it. I don't really have a choice, though, since I work full-time.

4. Dr. Josh

Dr. Josh Guest

Pre-Medical
    Could more people please respond and if possible give me reasons and maybe even input how to go about studying for one test or the other. Mucho thanks.

5. mc4435

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I tried both of these options. Fulltime for a month worked like a charm.

6. Dr. Josh

Dr. Josh Guest

Pre-Medical
    Can you give me any tips? How did you do?

Any more advice?

Please people take my poll!

7. docolive

docolive DOColive
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think that full time works best....in a month--yes, if you can devote 8 hrs daily. Somehow with classes and EC's, devoting your attention half-heartedly to the MCAT can bring mixed results. It depends on you...since everyone's study style is different...but definitely, I studied for the Jan. MCAT doing nothing but MCAT from early Dec. to late Jan and increased my score by 7 pts. I actually started in Oct. but I had classes and it seemed as though I did nothing really productive wrt the MCAT until school was over.

8. eggtart

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    guys

if i'm taking mcat in aug, how long is it before i get to know my result?

thanks

9. oxeye

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It looks like about a month at this point though the AAMC is supposed to be cutting that time down eventually.

10. eggtart

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    thank you so much

my first time taking mcat this yr

and i plan to apply for the 2008 intake..

11. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would suggest to take a full length practice exam before summer school starts. That way you know where you are in May and not August so you can study something like Physics if you need to along with the two Org Chem classes this summer. Then, study hard and take practice exams for that month before the MCAT.

Personally, I think more than two months out is a waste because you forget alot. Stay focused and study hard and you should be able to get it down.

The only long-term reviewing I would do is if I was extremely weak in a subject matter and needed to get that down.

My two cents!

12. Dr. Josh

Dr. Josh Guest

Pre-Medical
    bumping this up for the night crew to vote and give advice.

13. stiffany

stiffany Hurry up and wait...
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So last summer I took a leave of absence from my full-time job starting at the end of May. From June 1st through June 25th, I studied about 4 hours a day during the week for the MCAT. Then, from June 25th through August 4th I took a 20 hr per week physics class and then augmented that with MCAT studying an additional 10 hrs or so per week. From August 5th through roughly August 14th I studied for the MCAT at least 25 hours per week if not more and then took off the remaining time with just light studying of weak areas until the test on the 19th. I think if you do some studying for the MCAT alongside your summer orgo class and make sure that you do not do anything else aside from orgo, MCAT studying, and some relaxing (i.e. no work or EC's), you'll be fine for the September test. Still, make sure your practice scores are where you want them within a couple of weeks of the test or postpone until January (making sure, of course, that you continue practicing and reviewing as January gets closer).

14. Fay

Fay
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I worked part-time for a while after I graduated and then switched to a full-time job. It was good in a way that I could take time looking for a job I really like and studying for tests (I took GRE after cramming for 2 weeks straight. no job. no school. no TV..). It took more than two months for my current boss to hire me (He was busy trying to make a project deadline). Anyway, my point is: finding a job may take a while unless you know exactly where u wanna work already. So, if I were you, I'd put study first because it's something that I can plan on.

I didn't take MCAT, so I don't know. Yet, I think it's important to keep in mind what your study type is. I personally like doing last minute study. I know I'm not gonna study until the last 2 weeks though I have two months.

:luck: