Is this enough to prove I am determined to get in???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BK611

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My question is that I applied last year with a below average GPA (3.3c, 3.26s) and a 26Q on the MCAT and got no interviews and a handful of secondaries. Have I done enough in the last year to show the admission committees that I am still trying to get in to med school.

Over the last year:
Volunteered 8 plus hours for Habitat for Humanity
Took Kaplan course and improved MCAT to 29Q
Took upper level post baccalaureate class ( grade A)
Working as a Research Tech- made a transgenic mouse

So this year I will be applying with the same GPAs, but more lab experience volunteer work and a better MCAT.
Does anyone have some constructive criticism or opinion about my chances on getting into MD this time around? Not considering anything outside US!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

There may be a small chance of you getting accepted to an MD school, particularly your in-state MD school. However, I still think your shot of getting into an allopathic school seems rather distant, even with your improved application. With your upgraded stats, you may have a good shot of getting into med school through the DO route should you apply broadly and very soon.

I think perhaps you could get 1 or 2 interviews. To be honest you are not very competitive in most schools but I have seen people with less than you in numbers and experience before. It's really hard to say because a lot of it is a crapshoot. Much of it has to do with what state your residence is. Apply broadly and continue making your application better. I think what would help a lot is to get over a 30 and also try to gain more clinical experience. Good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
You should really volunteer. As in probably a weekly volunteer gig. The 8+ hours of habitat does not stand up to the 100's of hours a lot of premeds have. Have to say I did 8 hours at Habitat and didn't even list it because my app was so full of other more important things... I think if you really want to be a doctor you need to read some of this forum, figure out what you really should be doing and do it. Just shelling out the cash and reapplying is not enough to get accepted.

Good luck with everything :thumbup:

i agree with funky, maybe a higher mcat score will make you more competitive. volunteering more will help too. this could most likely give you more material to talk about in your interviews. best of luck!

Thanks for all the advise. My goal was to have more volunteer time, but between a full time job and studying constantly for the MCAT it just didn't work out. Although, I do have alot of new experiences with research that would be very applicable for interviews.
I know the MCAT could be better. I was disappointed with my physics section 9. verbal is my weakest section and was happy with a 9. and frankly biology should have been higher too, 11. But thinking about trying to prepare again for that test in January is overwhelming. I am praying that the committees give me an interview and I can convince them my drive and intelligence is above par and I am capable of surviving med school.

I didn't make it very clear but, the 8 hours was just what i could muster over the last 8 months. I have much more volunteer work that I did while i was in undergrad.

I didn't make it very clear but, the 8 hours was just what i could muster over the last 8 months. I have much more volunteer work that I did while i was in undergrad.

Get active in something, continue volunteering (or working in a clinical setting) even if it doesn't show up on the primary application, that way you have something to mention on secondaries and possibly interviews about what are you doing between graduation and the hopeful entry into med school. You will also have the benefit of having something if you need to go for a third time around. People have done it before here; why am I forgetting her name, she's a great member here and has given me advice before, but it took her three rounds and she ended up getting into an upper tier program.

Your GPA is a bit low, but completely redeemable in my opinion. Hopefully there's an upward trend to explain in an interview if it comes up. I think you would've been a lot more competitive if you broke the 30's. Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll get in.

So, I definitely agree that competitiveness would have been higher if i could have broken 30. I have been working since my graduation in may 2008 as a research tech, so for a year now. I do plan on staying involved in volunteer work. I am trying to get regular time at this animal clinic close to my home. Also, I am currently taking an upper level biology course and plan on taking one every semester this year while I am working full time.
I am surely not giving up if this year doesn't work out. I KNOW this is not only what I want but what I am made to do.

Your GPA is a bit low, but completely redeemable in my opinion. Hopefully there's an upward trend to explain in an interview if it comes up. I think you would've been a lot more competitive if you broke the 30's. Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll get in.

Yea the GPA is low, I do have an upward trend in my transcripts. Freshmen 3.5 (went to community college), sophmore 3.1 (started 4 year private college), junior 3.28, senior 3.7. Give or take a tenth these are estimates of what i remember. I also can prove that it wasn't just easier courses. I took biochem, physics, senior research, and overloaded both semesters my senior year.

It's highly unlikely you'll get into a MD school with a 3.3 GPA and a 29 MCAT unless you went to Africa to help HIV patients or something. You have a better shot at DO schools, but that GPA is still pretty low even for DO schools.

"but between a full time job and studying constantly for the MCAT it just didn't work out"

I completely get this and understand, but just so you know this excuse does not fly with adcoms. No matter what's on your plate you have to make time for some kind of regular volunteer work. It doesn't have to be all consuming. 2 hrs/week over the course of a year can be a very meaningful gig. Even spending 1hr/week tutoring HS kids.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, volunteering work and more clinical exposure are necessary. Schools will look at the entirety of your application, so the volunteering work that you did as an undergrad will help. However, it needs to be significantly higher than the 8 hrs over 8 months.

Why not do some shadowing if you don't have success finding volunteer positions? Those are pretty easy to come by, just go talk to several doctors that you are applying to medical school and you wanted to gain clinical exposure, and at least 1 of them will let you join them.

This way you can say in your application that you did something additional before you got your secondaries. But

Yes, volunteering work and more clinical exposure are necessary. Schools will look at the entirety of your application, so the volunteering work that you did as an undergrad will help. However, it needs to be significantly higher than the 8 hrs over 8 months.

Why not do some shadowing if you don't have success finding volunteer positions? Those are pretty easy to come by, just go talk to several doctors that you are applying to medical school and you wanted to gain clinical exposure, and at least 1 of them will let you join them.

This way you can say in your application that you did something additional before you got your secondaries.

Personally, I think that we are unique individuals and people should not tell others negative suggestions. But, I think if you are aggressive and really promote yourself you will have a better chance than worrying about what you can and cannot do. I know someone who got an interview at UW, one of the best schools in the country, with a 22 on her first MCAT then 26 on the second, she had a 3.3 gpa. So, promote yourself and go for it. All the numbers are averages and of course it helps to have the numbers, but work with what you go. Unless, you have the time, money, and patience to do everything again. Take it one step at a time and don't let people that are not in the position to advise you give advice. You wont get in unless you believe you deserve to be a part of a medical class, how can you be convinving in an interview unless you believe in yourself.

Thanks to all who have replied. I am very confident I have what it takes to be a doctor and I definitely have the drive to chase what I believe is the career for me. As far as volunteer work the 8 hours is minimal over the last year. I am currently involved with a regular schedule of volunteering at the local zoo.
Yea4Geriatrics: I totally agree with your point of view. I am telling myself that this year is the year and that my confidence and aggressive attitude will get me in. I feel like i just need an interview to really set the adcoms minds straight that I can be a great medical student.

All other things being equal, I'd suggest that something with patient interaction is a better "value" for your volunteer time than working at the zoo. you're not going to be working on animals, youre going to be working with people.

go to a hospital or a free clinic would be my suggestion. government-run stuff is usually the most understaffed/funded, and thus where the greatest need lies.

because the time you can commit is smaller than someone who is, for example, on summer break during undergrad, do some thinkimg about where and how you can make the most positive difference with the amount of time you can commit.

All other things being equal, I'd suggest that something with patient interaction is a better "value" for your volunteer time than working at the zoo. you're not going to be working on animals, youre going to be working with people.

go to a hospital or a free clinic would be my suggestion. government-run stuff is usually the most understaffed/funded, and thus where the greatest need lies.

because the time you can commit is smaller than someone who is, for example, on summer break during undergrad, do some thinkimg about where and how you can make the most positive difference with the amount of time you can commit.

I agree with finding something with patient interaction..be it making beds in the ER(which I did). Volunteering at the zoo is nice that it gives you time away from medicine, but I think your volunteering experience would be better served to something that paves a way to your future career. Just my opinion. Also, with hospitals...volunteering can be a bit tricky cause some in my area go by seasons where they'll start recruiting volunteers for the summer season and so on. Clinics are almost guaranteed of need.

Thanks to all who have replied. I am very confident I have what it takes to be a doctor and I definitely have the drive to chase what I believe is the career for me. As far as volunteer work the 8 hours is minimal over the last year. I am currently involved with a regular schedule of volunteering at the local zoo.
Yea4Geriatrics: I totally agree with your point of view. I am telling myself that this year is the year and that my confidence and aggressive attitude will get me in. I feel like i just need an interview to really set the adcoms minds straight that I can be a great medical student.

Put in solid hours of medically-related and non-medically related service. I'd suggest hospice / physical rehab type stuff for the medically related since you get actual patient contact. With non-medical stuff, I'd look at mentoring programs for schoolchildren, or service projects for people in poverty, like habitat. You just have to show you are willing to sacrifice time for no immediate benefit. The zoo might be unique, but that will just make them think that you like animals, which would be fine if you were Pre-Vet.

The zoo volunteer work may seem out of left field, but there are many areas that I can work. I have experience with animals and therefore I can actually handle the animals (obviously some of them more than others). I don't think that the adcoms will dismiss my volunteering as just doing something I like versus changing bedpans in a hospital. Volunteer work is supposed to be constant and something you believe in.

Got verified for AMCAS last Friday (August 15th). Got 2ndary from FSU. So here goes nothing. Let the waiting game begin again.

The zoo volunteer work may seem out of left field, but there are many areas that I can work. I have experience with animals and therefore I can actually handle the animals (obviously some of them more than others). I don't think that the adcoms will dismiss my volunteering as just doing something I like versus changing bedpans in a hospital. Volunteer work is supposed to be constant and something you believe in.

Got verified for AMCAS last Friday (August 15th). Got 2ndary from FSU. So here goes nothing. Let the waiting game begin again.

As long as you can justify it to an admissions committee, we are nobody to tell you what you can or can't do. Just realize that at an interview they will probably ask you.

My question is that I applied last year with a below average GPA (3.3c, 3.26s) and a 26Q on the MCAT and got no interviews and a handful of secondaries. Have I done enough in the last year to show the admission committees that I am still trying to get in to med school.

Over the last year:
Volunteered 8 plus hours for Habitat for Humanity
Took Kaplan course and improved MCAT to 29Q
Took upper level post baccalaureate class ( grade A)
Working as a Research Tech- made a transgenic mouse

So this year I will be applying with the same GPAs, but more lab experience volunteer work and a better MCAT.
Does anyone have some constructive criticism or opinion about my chances on getting into MD this time around? Not considering anything outside US!!!!!

While you did improve, nothing that I saw PROVES your commitment to medicine. Yes, you improved the MCAT three points (theoretically could have improved by one question in each section to do that), only eight volunteer hours in a YEAR, made an A (most pre-meds do that in most courses) in one course to raise a below average GPA. Research tech is nice, but I don't feel overly impressed for 365 days. With all that being said, I feel you have a decent to good shot of getting in this cycle. But answering the question of commitment, you did not PROVE anything.

While you did improve, nothing that I saw PROVES your commitment to medicine. Yes, you improved the MCAT three points (theoretically could have improved by one question in each section to do that), only eight volunteer hours in a YEAR, made an A (most pre-meds do that in most courses) in one course to raise a below average GPA. Research tech is nice, but I don't feel overly impressed for 365 days. With all that being said, I feel you have a decent to good shot of getting in this cycle. But answering the question of commitment, you did not PROVE anything.

So basically you told him that nothing he said proves commitment to medicine. Then why do you think he has a "decent to good" shot of getting in this cycle? Personally, I think that GPA is too low to give him a decent shot.

So basically you told him that nothing he said proves commitment to medicine. Then why do you think he has a "decent to good" shot of getting in this cycle? Personally, I think that GPA is too low to give him a decent shot.

Because I know several people that have gotten in with lesser stats. Just by going through the application process in the past makes him experienced, probably a little humble, and hopefully wiser to the overall process.
Also I capitalized prove, illustrating that he by no means is going to blow away adcoms by the past year, but he has improved.
Low GPA and low MCAT first time, improved MCAT but little to address an obvious weakness in the application.

Fair enough - call me a pessimist / realist.

Need to volunteer in a clinical/medical setting. I know it's hard when you are working full time as a research tech and going to school, but I did it. Your application is improved but maybe not enough. Now that pulled up the MCAT, I'd start working on the clinical volunteer work. I would recommend applying to a lot of lower tier private schools, all your state schools, and DO schools as well.

Without seeing your complete application I can't really give you a good assesment but being that you didn't get in last cycle you should of isolated and improved on your weaknesses this year.

From what you have listed I personally do not see that big of a difference in your application this year as opposed to last year. Here is my analysis,

1. The research-tech experience is nice but since this is not a requirement at most medical schools I highly doubt that the lack of this experience is what kept you out of medical school last year. So obviously while this should help your EC's a bit it doesn't address any of the weaknesses that medical school committee's where concerned about last year.

2. As for the volunteering - you have mentioned that you already have some from the previous year so I while assume that that probably wasn't a weakness last year as well. If it was a weakness and you didn't priorly have the average total hours well than that additional 8 hours of volunteering this year isn't really going to help you in overcoming this weakness and you will end up applying in practically the exact same situation as you did last year in regards to volunteering.

3. As for your GPA - it's clearly below average. If this was a weakness for you, which it most likely was, well than taking one additional class hasn't done anything to address this weakness. You should of taken an additional 30credits or so to really boost that GPA. Either way you will be applying with practically the same GPA and once again in the same boat again in regards to GPA.

4. LOR's - if this was a weakness for you well than a letter from a research advisor and or the professor of that course you took could help you here - assuming you did capitalize on that. If you didn't capitalize on letters from them well than again you would be applying with a similiar application in terms of LORs. If you had taken more coursework to address the lower GPA you could of knocked out 2 birds with one stone on this one as it would've given you a better chance at getting some more letters in place of some that you might of felt unsure about last cycle in addition to a possible rewrite/update of your committee letter all while boosting your GPA.

5. Personal Statement - if this was a weakness well than you should consider rewriting it, if you didn't do that then your going to be applying with virtually an identical application again.

All-in-all I do not see that much of a change in your application this year as opposed to last year. Additional LOR's and a re-write of your PS might help to address some defieciencies, if these were in fact deficiencies.

While it is true that you are going to be applying with a better MCAT, in the long run I don't believe that there is that big of a difference between a 26 and a 29 unless that 26 was very unbalanced and the 29 is not. Either way, with the things that you have mentioned that will be the only REAL difference that I see - which might not be enough unless you applied very late last year and are applying early this year.

Either way best of luck to you in the cycle. People do get in with numbers similiar to yours so hopefully your increase in MCAT will help you get an acceptance this cycle, I just personally think that you could of maximized your odds better by addressing more deficiencies in your app than just the MCAT over this past year.

Without seeing your complete application I can't really give you a good assesment but being that you didn't get in last cycle you should of isolated and improved on your weaknesses this year.

From what you have listed I personally do not see that big of a difference in your application this year as opposed to last year. Here is my analysis,

1. The research-tech experience is nice but since this is not a requirement at most medical schools I highly doubt that the lack of this experience is what kept you out of medical school last year. So obviously while this should help your EC's a bit it doesn't address any of the weaknesses that medical school committee's where concerned about last year.

2. As for the volunteering - you have mentioned that you already have some from the previous year so I while assume that that probably wasn't a weakness last year as well. If it was a weakness and you didn't priorly have the average total hours well than that additional 8 hours of volunteering this year isn't really going to help you in overcoming this weakness and you will end up applying in practically the exact same situation as you did last year in regards to volunteering.

3. As for your GPA - it's clearly below average. If this was a weakness for you, which it most likely was, well than taking one additional class hasn't done anything to address this weakness. You should of taken an additional 30credits or so to really boost that GPA. Either way you will be applying with practically the same GPA and once again in the same boat again in regards to GPA.

4. LOR's - if this was a weakness for you well than a letter from a research advisor and or the professor of that course you took could help you here - assuming you did capitalize on that. If you didn't capitalize on letters from them well than again you would be applying with a similiar application in terms of LORs. If you had taken more coursework to address the lower GPA you could of knocked out 2 birds with one stone on this one as it would've given you a better chance at getting some more letters in place of some that you might of felt unsure about last cycle in addition to a possible rewrite/update of your committee letter all while boosting your GPA.

5. Personal Statement - if this was a weakness well than you should consider rewriting it, if you didn't do that then your going to be applying with virtually an identical application again.

All-in-all I do not see that much of a change in your application this year as opposed to last year. Additional LOR's and a re-write of your PS might help to address some defieciencies, if these were in fact deficiencies.

While it is true that you are going to be applying with a better MCAT, in the long run I don't believe that there is that big of a difference between a 26 and a 29 unless that 26 was very unbalanced and the 29 is not. Either way, with the things that you have mentioned that will be the only REAL difference that I see - which might not be enough unless you applied very late last year and are applying early this year.

Either way best of luck to you in the cycle. People do get in with numbers similiar to yours so hopefully your increase in MCAT will help you get an acceptance this cycle, I just personally think that you could of maximized your odds better by addressing more deficiencies in your app than just the MCAT over this past year.

Thanks for the analysis Nabeel
I'll try to answer some of what you asked in the reply

From my opinion and that of others the obvious weaknesses in my app last year were my GPA and MCAT(10,8,8)

The GPA was hard to fix being as I have been working full time as a research tech and this leaves little time for classes. I am lucky to fit in one per semester. Not to mention that I have so many credits being as I have already graduated from undergrad that 30 credits may only raise it .05 or .1. Which I know every bit helps, but it is a little unrealistic to take that many classes right now.

The MCAT was the second concern. It was not imbalanced per se, just low. I know a 29 isn't stellar, but it moves me up in the bracket of people they will consider for interviews. I honestly believe that if I could just get an interview I can sell myself to the adcoms.

The other areas of my application I didn't feel like were lacking. My LOR were solid. Research and shadowing are great. Volunteering was continuous throughout undergrad. This past year was a flop for volunteering but I am just trying to show I still want to volunteer and am proactive about setting things up.

Last cycle was hard because I wasn't immediately rejected by the schools I applied to in state and it made em think that it may have been my MCAT and GPA that kept me from getting interviews. The other stuff in my application probably was great and that is what kept it from getting rejected instantly. AMCAS actually calculated my GPA wrong last year (3.26c when it should have been a 3.3c). So technically I was lower than i should have been in that category.

Anyway, thanks for the advice and opinion. BTW, I have secondaries at Univeristy of Alabama, University of S. Alabama, FSU, and Emory. Any thoughs about best chances?

Thanks for the analysis Nabeel
I'll try to answer some of what you asked in the reply

From my opinion and that of others the obvious weaknesses in my app last year were my GPA and MCAT(10,8,8)

The GPA was hard to fix being as I have been working full time as a research tech and this leaves little time for classes. I am lucky to fit in one per semester. Not to mention that I have so many credits being as I have already graduated from undergrad that 30 credits may only raise it .05 or .1. Which I know every bit helps, but it is a little unrealistic to take that many classes right now.

The MCAT was the second concern. It was not imbalanced per se, just low. I know a 29 isn't stellar, but it moves me up in the bracket of people they will consider for interviews. I honestly believe that if I could just get an interview I can sell myself to the adcoms.

The other areas of my application I didn't feel like were lacking. My LOR were solid. Research and shadowing are great. Volunteering was continuous throughout undergrad. This past year was a flop for volunteering but I am just trying to show I still want to volunteer and am proactive about setting things up.

Last cycle was hard because I wasn't immediately rejected by the schools I applied to in state and it made em think that it may have been my MCAT and GPA that kept me from getting interviews. The other stuff in my application probably was great and that is what kept it from getting rejected instantly. AMCAS actually calculated my GPA wrong last year (3.26c when it should have been a 3.3c). So technically I was lower than i should have been in that category.

Anyway, thanks for the advice and opinion. BTW, I have secondaries at Univeristy of Alabama, University of S. Alabama, FSU, and Emory. Any thoughs about best chances?

Well good luck this year. If the rest of your app is solid then I think you def have a good shot of getting in somewhere this cycle. At the end of the day that new MCAT score will help you.

As far as the GPA is concerned I agree that an additional year of coursework wouldn't of pulled your GPA up too much, however I don't think your GPA is all that low. I think that your GPA is at the borderline for acceptance and an additional year of solid grades in the sciences would of alleviated any doubt that you could handle the academic rigors of medical school regardless of whether your overall GPA would've increased much or not. It would've shown a strong upward trend that would of tipped the scales in your favor. Either way, I realize that you needed to work and theirs nothing you can do about that. So the only thing I would recommend now is to increase the number of schools you are applying to. You've listed only 4 schools. Maybe your still filling out more secondaries, either way I would apply to at least 15 to 20 if I were you. Add Saint Louis Unversity, EVMS and MCW to your list if you already haven't. You could also try some of the philly schools like Temple, Drexel and Jefferson for some mid-tiers. Maybe I'll see you somewhere along the way, I am going to be applying to these schools as well.