Is this fine with shadowing for ONE doctor only?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

NP545

I am going to shadow a doctor from 9 AM to 9 PM for one day... is this enough shadowing for this particular specialty? Or should I shadow more than one day with him?

(I will also shadow other specialties and doctors. This question is only regarding one particular doctor)

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on what it is, but I think that's reasonable as long as you're doing significant shadowing elsewhere.

Depends on what it is, but I think that's reasonable as long as you're doing significant shadowing elsewhere.
How many total hours should I aim for?

And on the app, how should I list the shadowing of multiple doctors?

Members don't see this ad :)
I listed "MD Shadowing" then gave a brief blurb. "Bob Bobson, MD, General Surgery. 20 hours. 12 hours in the OR laparoscopic procedures and consults in addition to 8 hours at outpatient clinic observing varicose vein ablation and meetings. Jim Jimson, MD, Psychiatry. 8 hours in an outpatient clinic observing individual therapy sessions." etc.

Aim for as many hours as you can reasonably get. I'd consider 50 as something of a minimum though I'm sure you can get by with less, especially if you have a lot of other clinical experience.

Reactions: 1 user
How many total hours should I aim for?

And on the app, how should I list the shadowing of multiple doctors?

You should aim for 50 hours or so. Feel free to do more if there's a specialty that you're particularly interested in.

On my AMCAS application, I listed one of the doctors I shadowed as my contact. In the "Description" field, I listed all of the other doctors I shadowed along with their specialty, hospital/clinic location, number of hours, and phone number.

I am going to shadow a doctor from 9 AM to 9 PM for one day... is this enough shadowing for this particular specialty? Or should I shadow more than one day with him?

(I will also shadow other specialties and doctors. This question is only regarding one particular doctor)

As far as enough for a particular specialty...nobody is expecting you to have a thorough understanding of a particular type of medicine. Even if you have 100's of hours (I, for example, spent around 250 hours with a ped heme/onc), you'll have only the vaguest inkling of what it is they do and how they do it (and it would be a big error to suggest otherwise in your application! I have talked to adcom members who are particularly put off by pre-meds believing they know what it means to be a doctor from solely shadowing).

Reactions: 1 user
You should aim for 50 hours or so. Feel free to do more if there's a specialty that you're particularly interested in.

On my AMCAS application, I listed one of the doctors I shadowed as my contact. In the "Description" field, I listed all of the other doctors I shadowed along with their specialty, hospital/clinic location, number of hours, and phone number.
I did the same for my app. I also included phone numbers. OP, I suggest 50 hours minimum overall in different specialties.