Is this "free online 6 week classes" really sketchy?? or can it boost my sGPA

cofffeemed

Oct 29, 2018
    So I came across this article that says it gives 130+ free online courses, including Epidemiology and Intro to Human Phys.
    Copy and Pasted this from the article
    Introductory Human Physiology from Duke University
    Epidemiology: The Basic Science of Public Health from The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
    First of all, is this sketchy? Second of all, if I do this (it's free why not) will this count towards my science gpa for med school assuming I can get an A? I'm currently a reinvention pre-med trying to boost a low gpa

Here's the article: For a Limited Time, Coursera Offers Free Certificates for 115 Courses. Here is the Full List. — Class Central

Kumorebi

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    2+ Year Member
    Silver Member
    Jun 21, 2017
    1. Medical Student
      So I came across this article that says it gives 130+ free online courses, including Epidemiology and Intro to Human Phys.
      Copy and Pasted this from the article
      Introductory Human Physiology from Duke University
      Epidemiology: The Basic Science of Public Health from The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
      First of all, is this sketchy? Second of all, if I do this (it's free why not) will this count towards my science gpa for med school assuming I can get an A? I'm currently a reinvention pre-med trying to boost a low gpa

Here's the article: For a Limited Time, Coursera Offers Free Certificates for 115 Courses. Here is the Full List. — Class Central
      Free classes, but not directly taught by a university. You can take the quizzes multiple times. This is not an official class in any capacity at all. That website and UNC are not going to give you a transcript with a grade. If you read the course description, they don't even offer a final grade, only a certificate of completion.

Is it sketchy? Not at all. It looks to be taught by actual professors at the Universities and people have enjoyed their class because they are genuinely interested in the subject material.

Reactions: 1 users
      About the Ads
      This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.