asneakyrocker

5+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Ok so I have everything completed for my application for this upcoming cycle
i.e. MCAT, Personal Statement, Resume etc..

however I am currently taking O Chem 2 lab and I may have to drop it now because there was some mix up with with 2 of my labs... its a long story and I don't want to think about it because it will just piss me off. SO nvm the reason why I have to probably drop it.

Anyways I need help on what I should do....

if I don't drop this lab I may risk getting a low C or even a D

and a low score in ochem lab 2 will really look bad for me because I am only taking 7 hours this semester as well since I took the MCAT this semester and I wanted extra time to study.

Also since I am in the later part of my undergrad., so I think a bad grade will really look bad....

BUT

IF I DO drop this course then I will have a W which I guess I don't mind, however the next available ochem 2 lab end on Aug. 12 so I will not have credit until then...

This wouldnt be a problem, but I am applying this cycle and I wanted to apply early but if I will be taking the lab in the summer I will have to wait until august 12th to send in my transcripts correct? and then they will have to be verified etc.? which will take more time?

SO basically I am caught in between a rock and a hard place...

What should I do?

Take the D in ochem 2 and apply early or
Take the W and apply late?

or if someone knows a way to take the W and still apply early then please let me know how...

my gpa is about 3.5-3.6 so a D in a 2 hour class will still lower that...

HELPPP!!!

DrSmooth

Secret Recipe Soda
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2008
Status
Medical Student
The lab doesn't have to be done until you matriculate so you are fine. You can still send in your transcript early without this semesters grades.

asneakyrocker

5+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
So if I haven't completed the lab and I apply they will not wait for me to complete it before evaluating my transcripts?

i.e. I can still get offers etc.? without even completing the ochem 2 lab?

I always thought the lab is considered part of the prereqs?

DrSmooth

Secret Recipe Soda
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Prereqs are prerequisite to matriculating, not to applying. There is a box on the AMCAS app for "intend to take".

Davydude7

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2008
Dayton, OH
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So if I haven't completed the lab and I apply they will not wait for me to complete it before evaluating my transcripts?

i.e. I can still get offers etc.? without even completing the ochem 2 lab?

I always thought the lab is considered part of the prereqs?
It is considered part of the prereqs, but it isn't necessary to have all the prereqs finished prior to applying, as long as you finish them prior to matriculating. So drop your class and send the transcripts in early so you can apply early. Be prepared to answer the "why" question about the W with only 7 units during interviews though, as it may come up.

asneakyrocker

5+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for all your help guys, I guess I will drop and apply early....

I appreciate your feedback, thanks again.